Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Oh a nightmare....The alternator is shot and we have the

Customer Question
replacement, but couldn't make it...
oh a nightmare....The alternator is shot and we have the replacement, but couldn't make it back home before car lost power....we stopped and jumped the battery and went to take off. This is when we couldn't get the car to shift into any gear and it sounded like something was being murdered under my car...That's the only way I know how to explain sound, but another is it sounded like every mechanical thing was ripping off car , or metal parts getting caught up with other metal parts....I hope I explained that well enough for you to grasp what I mean
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: it happens when the alternator stops working....the gear shifting problem has only been a few times before
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2002 Izuzu Rodeo V6 LS
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yeah need to fix it ourselves....my husband needs to finish putting on the new alternator when we can get back to the town our car is in because we had to leave it where we were.....and afraid to even think transmission problems
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: error message from auto part stores is also the catalaceic converter needs replaced, having issue with air conditioner blowing out cold air (bought self freon adding system, but once hooked to bottle gauge goes to red and states see professional help, and last my driver side window controls are bad...
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I believe that the air conditioner problem is the issue that we are stumped and don't know if we are using product wrong to fill the freon or if a part of air conditioner system needs replaced
8/14/2016
Auto Mechanic: Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you with your problem. sorry to hear about that dilemma , but before you start thinking of all things bad here is food for thought. All these newer cars with ECU that control everything from engine management to transmission operation need proper voltage and amperes to operate properly. If you know computers at all the phrase goes garbage in garbage out.So with that being said unfortunately it needs a good working alternator and battery so it can do it's job otherwise it will randomly pick it's own scenario causing a rash of weird things happening from engine issues to weird transmission actions. So before you jump to any conclusions of other problems do those two things first, replace the alternator and make sure the battery is good and charged. Hope this sheds some light on your problem and good luck. If you need any more assistance I would be happy to help.

Hello just checking in, if your happy with my answer please rate and reply so we may close off. If you need further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Auto Service Technician