Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Jeep

Customer Question
Jeep
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2012 jeep cherokee 3.7 alternator not charging
8/4/2016
Auto Mechanic: David Craig, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
David Craig
David Craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi David here, dont know why you are posting 4 of the same questions.........

I need you to check the voltage at the large cable on the alternator while the vehicle is running. let me know the results and we can go from there. Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
10 volts while running at large cable . Lost connection sorry.

ok. there is only 2 possibilties here. you put a bad alternator in or the drive belt is slipping and not turning the pulley fast enough. try giving it rpms ans see if the voltage changes

I'll be back on in the morning. hope you get your computer issue worked out. let me know the results...thanks.

any updates?

hello??????

do you still need assistance?

Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the alternator isn't charging it may be the alternator itself, a poor connection, an internal failure in the powertrain control module or a wiring issue between the PCM and alternator.

Has any testing of the control circuit been done?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician