sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2003 Chevy Astro van awd When im accelerating especially at

2003 Chevy Astro van awd
When im accelerating especially at low speeds but under constant acceleration the truck will kick whole accelerating feels like it's coming from drivetrain maybe drive shaft u joints etc ? Most likely cause ? My mechanic says U joints good and he suspected rear wheel bearings but after inspecting both rear wheels they both had the same amount of play when pushing wheel/tore in towers truck and pulling out away from truck. Is this normal ? He did not do hearings due to labor and cost involved but he also didn't say for sure if this was the cause of can kicking while accelerating
Any info would be great

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

ok so i will need you to drive this and determine what MPH the issue happens at, if you can get a consistent MPH then we will try and manually shift the trans to a lower gear to see if it still does it. we need to rule out the transmission torque converter. let me know if this helps, and we can continue, as for the rear wheel bearings, pulling the wheel in and out is not a test that we do, its the play of the axle that allows the inner and outer movement, in order to check a wheel bearing you listen to noises with a stethoscope when the rear diff is running. hope this helps. if that is how your mechanic tests wheel bearings then i suggest a new mechanic lol.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I been hearing that a lot lately get a new mechanic
As for the kicking while accelerating, it does t all the time regardless of gear I shift to while doing a steady mph at low fired obviously
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At low speed **

ok do the RPMS jump as well? we need to confirm if the engine is affected or if its chassis related.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rpms jump ?

the rpm gauge, the tachometer? its the other gauge besides the speedometer that registers engine speed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yea I can't believe I didn't realize what you meant
Astro van doesn't have rpm gauge
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
But I think if the Rpms would be jumping I'd hear the engine rev changing which its not correct ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any ideas as to what may be causing the kick while accelerating ? I'm thinking u joint but can't figure it out

Lol no problem on the rpm. Yes you would hear and feel the engine. If you don't then it is definitely drivetrain issue. Not engine or trans. A u joint would cause a clunk if you were in park and shifted to reverse or drive. I don't think it's a u joint but hey cars can surprise you lol. I will opt out and see if another tech had seen this before. See if they can help better. I wish you luck.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Do you still need help?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No and thank you

You're welcome!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any chance in picking up where i left off ? I have Astro van up on lift and u joints after looking at them up
Close don't seem to have anywhere , but when I shift from gear to hear while irked I definitely hear and feel a very loud knock like clunking noise mind you the transmission shifts smooth so I don't suspect tranny issues but i can't say for sure. Also the transfer case if I turn wheels by hand while in lift makes a slapping noise when I go in one direction with wheels and then if I stop and immediately go the opposite direction I'll hear plates or gears changing direction , no grinding or running just smacking into gear so to speak all by hand tho again when accelerating it kicks like the acceleration is not smooth but definitely not from engine it's coming from middle / rear of van

Is there any vibration or whining while driving?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No shining but vibration
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Whining *
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Constant clink and kick that is actually felt while accelerating at almost any speed give it gas and it kicks and clunks pretty heavy

Is the vibration throttle sensitive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think so felt like shuddering as if driving over all types of little bumps in the road
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The main annoyance for lack of a better word is when accelerating regardless of speed it's like something at the point of breaking but obviously nothing's broken yet so im
Suspecting aoemyhing else

Are the tires the same brand, size and same amount of treadwear? Do they all match and are the same age?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Has the transfer case fluid been drained to inspect it's condition?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A lot of noise from two places I noticed
Rear end that thing in the middle j forget what it's called and the transfer case lot of clacking when wheels first get turned and if direction is changed black again pretty loud normal ? This from transfers case tho not rear end rear end just focus upon initial
Movement of wheels and if direction is changed also but it's not as loud as transfer case clacks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Check for metal shavings and burnt color ?

Yes. It should be checked for a burnt smell, metal contamination and darkened color.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I'll get back to you tomorrow

Great!

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience