Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 1996 impreza outback sport and it is in safe mode.

Customer Question
How do i disable it...
I have a 1996 impreza outback sport and it is in safe mode. How do i disable it without any special device to plug it into the ecm?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am trying to do it myself, i just discovered the issue and havent tried anything (i didnt know what safe mode was till a couple hours ago)
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I have a stage 2 clutch, but thats the only performance mod ive added to the car
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: No slipping, the clutch is less than 100 miles old. The shift knuckle is worn out, but it always goes into gear no problem
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
7/2/2016
Auto Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question,

The system goes into fail safe mode when the computer sees a fault and when this happens the computer will set and store a fault code and or codes. You can clear the system and take it out of fail safe mode by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes. That being said if the problem that caused it to go into fail safe mode is still present then it will likely go back into fail safe mode until the problem is addressed and corrected.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Okay, ill give it a shot, thank you Ron.!

Your very welcome and thank you as well. Please take a moment to rate my service so I can get credit for my time, the question remains open for follow up even after doing so, all you need to do is return to this question if need be.

Thank you again.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician