Amedee
Amedee, Former ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE certified tech advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

1999 isuzu Rodeo that want start with strong battery when

Customer Question

1999 isuzu Rodeo that want start
with strong battery
when starting the vehicle, you turn on the key, and it clicks once or twice and shuts every thing down, nothing works and must be reset
shuts down like a breaker is tripped
Category: Car
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question. Are you looking for some possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
walk me trough this diagnoses
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. We need to start by checking the battery voltage at the battery connections/cables and connections when trying to start the engine. The battery should remain above 10.0 volts with the key in the CRANK position and the starter should get about the same amount of voltage with the key in the CRANK position.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Provided this is not a security issue, there should be no clicking when trying to start the engine.. besides a few relays activating and de activating.

Please run these checks/steps and let me know the readings/results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
something is shutting everything down when we turn the key to start it. the voltage doesn't change because the starter never engages
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that information. So what are the readings?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
readings are good until it shuts down
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

So it starts just fine but then stalls out correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it want even try to start, when you turn the key everything shuts down, no lights or anything
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Ok, then this is an electrical problem. A bad battery, a battery low on a charge or a bad connection at or after the battery is the most likley causes. A bad ignition switch or fuse block/power distribution center can do this too. Do me a favor and check the voltage on the fuses under the hood when someone turns the key to the CRANK position. Let me know the readings. This way we can trace the problem down..

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 year ago.

Hello! It'sCustomerfrom just answer.

I am just checking in to see if you need any further assistance?

Let me know!