Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

My 1995 geo prism is overheating and using a lot of

Customer Question

My 1995 geo prism is overheating and using a lot of antifreeze. Oil looks fine and no bubbles in radiator
Category: Car
Expert:  Joe Barfield replied 1 year ago.

Hello , does it smoke White if you give it the gas in park out the rear of the car ?

Or does it smell funny inside the car & fog the windshield?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

where is the antifreeze going do you see it leaking out anywhere ?

has the system been pressure tested yet ?

how much coolant is it looking ?

or is it being lost when it overheats out of the overflow ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It uses all the antifreeze in the overflow bottle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have not pressure tested system
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

is the fan running when its overheating ?

has the thermostat been changed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Little puddle under car in morning.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fan only runs when AC is on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Don't know if thermostat has been changed. Just got the car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

the first thing that has to be done is any external leaks fixed once that is fixed and it looses the coolant only when it overheats out the coolant bottle then replace the thermostat and radiator cap if it still acts up and the fan is running then have a flush done to the coolant system and the water pump replaced or tested if by chance it still acts up the only thing left is a bad head gasket

you can always get me back through this post for free with any follow up with this question anytime even after you rate us here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate us here at Justanswer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
New radiator and cap and main hoses. New coolant bottle and cap. We fill it up and it disappears. Runs the bottle dry then the radiator. Oil looks good. No foam or bubbles in radiator. No white smoke. Other then maybe little puff. Can't see any visible leaks in any hoses. Fan does not come on unless AC is turned on
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if its loosing that kind of coolant and it is NOT externally seen even pressure testing then the coolant is getting into the cylinders or the crank case or into the transmission there is no where else it can go

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it is getting into cylinders wouldn't it blow white smoke?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

if its a small enough amount you may not see it much out the tail pipe

bot***** *****ne is the coolant is going somewhere either external or internally

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

how are you making out ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately didn't learn anything new from this conversation. The car gas 2 electric fans. The only one that runs is the one for the AC. I believe that's part of problem. What's specific steps should I take to figure out why main fan is not working and to fix it. Thanks
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.

I will do my best to assist you.

from the way you explain the problem,to me it sounds as if you do maybe have a blown head gasket,it would seem the compression from an cylinder is blowing into the coolant chamber,thus equilizing the pressure and stopping the coolant from moving.

if the pressure gets above the rating of the radiator cap[maybe 12lbs] then it blows the coolant out then overheats.

even if no fan was working it shouldnt overheat out on the road sense it would be getting plenty of air.

try bleeding the system this way,it may have an air pocket,if it still pushes back though the cap after this,i would think it is the head gasket

1-remove the radiator/reservoir cap when the engine is cold

2-start the engine and let idle

3-turn the heater on max

4-keep coolant on hand and add it as needed

5-spme coolant may gush out with the air

6-keep doing this until the engine is at operating tempeture and the heater is hot

7-after the coolant settles down and the engine is warm,,install the cap

This may take as long as 20-30 minutes

with that being said,i will give you some tests/checks for your fan

thanks

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r5j8rv86yj3m5w9/0610-geo-%20engine%20coolant%20temperature.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/r5j8rv86yj3m5w9/0610-geo-%20engine%20coolant%20temperature.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

thanks