Ironmike
Ironmike, ASE Master Tech, L1
Experience:  30 years GM certified, Ford certified
11302663

2006 Mercury grand Marquis's. Failed inspection because when

Customer Question

2006 Mercury grand Marquis's. Failed inspection because when I turn the headlights on the tail lights come on like they are supposed to but the rear turn signal comes on and stays on and it has an amber lens. The inspector says the turn signal should not be coming on when the tail lights are turned on. The brakes are working all the other lights are working properly I think this is just how the vehicle is wired but the inspector says the amber lens should not be lighting up when the tail lights are on. We have tried to modify the wires thinking we could fix it easily but everything looks original and we cannot get the turn signal to turn off steady when the tail lights are on
Category: Car
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings, Is the multi function switch original? did you try to use the turn signal or hazard as the headlamps are on?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
it is common for the multi function switches to fail and cause issues like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not sure if the multifunction switch is original how do I tell? And no I did not try to use the turn signal or hazards as the headlamps are on I can put the brakes back together and try it
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
they can short at the contacts or have opens from corrosion where the lights do not work. I have gotten the lights to work by using the turn signal and or hazard a few times fast and then checking operation again. The multifunction switch is not hard to replace and after market the part is not expensive. 60-70$
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
With the headlights on in the hazards on everything is flashing in the back but when I hit the brakes nothing is lighting up when the hazards are on and the headlights are on except the third brake light
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Headlights working good
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
hazards and brake light cannot work at the same time. make sure the brake light are working without the hazards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok they are working without the hazards just like you said so everything there is fine sorry
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
that's ok