Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Chev pu k2500: changed bad power steering pump on chev k2500.

Customer Question

changed bad power steering pump on chev k2500. When removing the old pump I disconnected the pressure line at the gear box and then off the old pump. While installing I did not notice (until too late) there was supposed to be an 0-ring on both ends of the pressure line. Not sure that it came off and remained in the hose fitting hole. After I started the engine I noticed the leak at the gear box. Possible the 0-ring came off the pressure line and got pushed into the gear box. I have good flow as I took the return line off the pump so I could see that I have good flow. I took the return line off the pump and held it in the fill hole of the pump. Then when I try to turn the wheel, the flow stops and the wheels will not turn, but you can hear that the pump is working hard. So I'm thinking that possibly a piece or all of the 0-ring got pushed into the gear box. Is it possible to reverse the lines, pressure line to low pressure side and possibly blow anything back that could have gotten in the high pressure side? Don't really want to pull the steering box and replace. Can you help me out? Stan
Category: Car
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
greetings, did you check the fluid control valve in the back of the pump?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
does the truck have a vacuum booster or hydraulic booster?
Expert:  Ironmike replied 1 year ago.
did you remove or disconnect the pressure hose and check for flow, blow it out with air?