Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

My land rover lr2 wont move, if you change the gears it

Customer Question

My land rover lr2 wont move, if you change the gears it attempts to go back o forward, but seems to be stuck. It was parked for a week then this happened. My friend put it on on jacks to see if the wheels would move to rule out a stuck brake caliper and they did move. The car sounds good, no loud hum or roar from the transmission.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No. But I'd like to have an idea so I didnt get taken adcantage of.
JA: OK! The Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Land Rover?
Customer: no. thank you!
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. Please allow me to ask a few questions: Do all 4 tires move freely?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Does the driveshaft try to turn when in gear (fwd or rev)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im not sure what that means, but the car slightly goes farward and back when put in drive and reverse, but seems to be stuck.

Without seeing it, and assuming the transmission is full of fluid, this sounds like you do not have fluid multiplication from the torque converter/transmission oil pump, or, the fluid pressure being produce form the unit is being lost into the trans pan via a valve stuck open in the transmission. Before I did anything, I would get the vehicle towed to a shop; there, have the transmission fluid flushed out via a machine designed for this purpose.