Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Right turn signal works left doesn't, same on hazards right

Customer Question
side works left doesn't. Makes...
Right turn signal works left doesn't, same on hazards right side works left doesn't. Makes a chattering sound when you first turn it on and then it makes the chattering sound in about 15 second intervals.....
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes, I ve replace the turn signal switch, no change
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced turn signal switch on column and both relays in dash
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your car?
Customer: Inside indicator lights for right turn, nothing for left, inside indicator lights one time for hazards, then nothing even though the outside right is working
JA: Our top Mechanic is ready to take your case. Just pay the $5 fully refundable deposit and I'll fill the Mechanic in on everything we've discussed. You can go back and forth with the Mechanic until you're 100% satisfied. We guarantee it.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
3/19/2016
Auto Mechanic: Jay, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your questions.

What make and model Car is this? Also the year please..?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Land Rover Discovery 2, right turn signal works fine, left doesn't work at all. Same on hazards
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2004 land Rover Discovery 2
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I haven't received any answer yet.
Auto Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 1 year ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcoe to JustAnswer!

If the flasher and switch have been replaced and fuses are good then you either have a wiring issue or multiple blown bulbs. Have the bulbs been checked or replaced?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
the bulbs have been replaced. I m sure you are aware Land Rover has no flasher, per say, only flasher relays for each side.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I asked for specific information, detailed to vehicle specific. Haven't seen that so far.

There are two turn signal flashers in the box in the dash.

Have you used an incandescent test light to see whether it's power or ground you're missing at the bulbs?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No sir, I ve just replaced the bulbs, turn signal switch and flashed relays.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can check that, but I m pretty sure it's power that is missing .... Which way to go after checking for either of those?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I m leaning towards a becm problem, but I d like to make sure. The repeated chattering of the left side flasher relay every 15 seconds(appx) has me baffled though.

Either way if the bulbs are good, the flasher and switch are good and the fuse isn't blown then the problem is wiring. You'll need to first determine whether it's power or ground that you're missing and test from there. It's possible that you could have a poor ground to the lights, voltage drop or an open circuit between the flasher and lights. A short to ground is also a possibility but should blow the fuse.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Any way to determine a BeCM problem?

The body controller? A scan tool would need to be used to diagnose an issue with the BCM. A scan tool could be used to check switch input, check for fault codes for the output circuit and perform actuator tests.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok thanks

You're welcome!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician