sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2007 Suzuki XL-7 that is making a loud clunking

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Suzuki XL-7 that is making a loud clunking noise in the front end of the car when I hit any little bump in the road. I have already replaced the sway bar links and bushings but the noise is still as loud as ever. Looking to see where I can go from here as the next options start to get more expensive. Please help.
Category: Car
Expert:  thomas hill replied 1 year ago.

hi have you checked the sway bar links in the front?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello! Yes, as I mentioned I have replaced both the driver and passenger side sway bar links in the front as well as the bushings.

Something is loose in the front did you check ball joints any leaking struts A arm bushings strut tops

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have checked all of these and all seem to be looking good and in working order

It's hard to diagnose a noise so times but I would dismantle the frog struts and inspect them

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have chosen to take it to a local mechanic. Thank you.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are many things that could be causing the noise. It could be coming from the struts or mounts but it could also be a ball joint, inner or outer tie rod end, or the noise could be coming from inside the rack itself. It could also be a lower control arm mount bushing or possibly an issue with subframe mounting.

If it's something you can feel through the steering wheel then the issue may be a loose intermediate shaft.

All of the components will need to be checked. If no issues can be found visually, with a prybar, etc, then something such as Chassis Ears can be used to help pinpoint the source.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have taken a look at a few of these but will check the others and see if they could be causing it and let you know. Thank you!

You're welcome!