Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

The sunroof will open but will not close, I open the sunroof

Customer Question
the sunroof will open but...
the sunroof will open but will not close
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I open the sunroof this morning. Now when I push the button to close it, it only closes about an inch and then stops
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes. it is going to rain soon
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: I can not get it in anywhere today. I can't get it in to a shop until Monday. I just want to close it
JA: Is there anything else the Mechanic should be aware of about your car?
Customer: no.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Car
3/12/2016
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 1 year ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me the year,make and model of your vehicle here?

Does it make any noises when trying to close or make any abnormal noises when you opened it at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2006 mitsubishi outlander. At first there were no noises but now it moves about an inch or two and there is a grinding sound.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Are you there?

I apologize for the delay.

What happens is either debris makes its way into the track for the sun roof and causes this here or the track itself becomes broken with one or more components on the track possibly the cables stripped that the motor operates to open and close the roof or a guide has broken and fell into the track.

What will have to be done here is to have the track and cables/gears inspected for any damage or issues needing repaired.Usually this requires removing the interior head liner to inspect and replace any components damaged.

Unfortunately I have seen this issue several times before and had to remove the head liner for inspection and repair.Some components cannot be replaced separately and the entire track has to be replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I am just wanting to get it closed prior to the rain. Is there a way to manually close it?

In some cases you can look inside the track area above the head liner and see if anything is found to be jamming it open and it may be removed to then try and close it or operate the switch in the closed position and at the same time pull it closed by hand as sometimes this works.If neither of these work here then the head liner may need removed to access the glass to try and close it manually or to locate the fault and correct it.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Pete, Technician