Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Same issue as most people on most forums. Put key in

Customer Question
Same issue as most...

Same issue as most people on most forums. Put key in ignition and the steering is locked and the key won't turn

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Red light was flashing fast . Disconnected the battery and connected again and that's fixed

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
Ok
I've paid the deposit
So do I just wait ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/7/2016
Auto Mechanic: Christopher Trevino,
 replied 2 years ago
Christopher Trevino

Hello there, I'd love to help you with this issue, can I first ask, is the steering wheel locked but turned to mostly the left or right ? or would you say fairly straight ahead?

The steering is locked
Auto Mechanic: Christopher Trevino,
 replied 2 years ago

Well typically the locked steering wheel needs to be strongly turned against the locked position and try turning the key at this point. This should take the pressure off of the key switch and you should be able to start the vehicle. Let me know how it goes or what you have already tried and I can better assist you here. Thank you so much -Chris

I have tried everything
2 separate keys
I have read a lot of forums and lots have people have suggested this occurs a lot with a Land Rover DiscoveryThey key occasionally gets stuck but putting foot on the brake and moving giving the steering wheel a jiggle and it's fineThe other day I got stuck in the car and accident pressed the buttons on the remote and the alarm was going offIs the steering lock some kind of a protection due to the alarm going off ? Like the computer has disabled it ?
Auto Mechanic: Christopher Trevino,
 replied 2 years ago

Not that I am aware, I think at this point it would benefit you most for me to repost your question here and have other experts view it. They may have more insight for this particular model vehicle. Best of luck to you.

Thank you,

Chris

Auto Mechanic: Mike S., Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic

If you are on a level ground, jack up the front end slightly, (both wheels) until the wheels come off the ground, to take the pressure off the steering wheel, then try to turn the key.

Did that work?