Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

Same issue as most people on most forums. Put key in

Customer Question

Same issue as most people on most forums. Put key in ignition and the steering is locked and the key won't turn
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Red light was flashing fast . Disconnected the battery and connected again and that's fixed
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
I've paid the deposit
So do I just wait ?
Expert:  Christopher Trevino replied 1 year ago.

Hello there, I'd love to help you with this issue, can I first ask, is the steering wheel locked but turned to mostly the left or right ? or would you say fairly straight ahead?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The steering is locked

Well typically the locked steering wheel needs to be strongly turned against the locked position and try turning the key at this point. This should take the pressure off of the key switch and you should be able to start the vehicle. Let me know how it goes or what you have already tried and I can better assist you here. Thank you so much -Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have tried everything
2 separate keys
I have read a lot of forums and lots have people have suggested this occurs a lot with a Land Rover DiscoveryThey key occasionally gets stuck but putting foot on the brake and moving giving the steering wheel a jiggle and it's fineThe other day I got stuck in the car and accident pressed the buttons on the remote and the alarm was going offIs the steering lock some kind of a protection due to the alarm going off ? Like the computer has disabled it ?

Not that I am aware, I think at this point it would benefit you most for me to repost your question here and have other experts view it. They may have more insight for this particular model vehicle. Best of luck to you.

Thank you,

Chris

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

If you are on a level ground, jack up the front end slightly, (both wheels) until the wheels come off the ground, to take the pressure off the steering wheel, then try to turn the key.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 1 year ago.

Did that work?