Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Just put a new axle in my 2002 Suzuki XL7, got it back

Customer Question
together and now its got...
Just put a new axle in my 2002 Suzuki XL7, got it back together and now its got a real bad sway in it while driving it down the road. It is also now making a popping noise under front end. What would cause this and how do you fix?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
3/6/2016
Auto Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Sounds like the axle is not seated all the way in the transmission. Either that or there is an issue with the sway bar, did you have to unbolt the sway bar links or bushings to remove the axle? Also, is the noise happening all the time or just when you are accelerating?

the noise can only be heard when it is sitting still and the sway is at like 40 mph and faster almost jerks you across road and if you hit a bump it throws the whole vehicle
Auto Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Check to make sure that the axle is in the transmission all of the way.

the axle is in the front end and it is all the way against it and seated wont come back out without pulling whole axle again
Auto Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

Ok, so the axle is pushed all of the way up against the transmission housing? Can you check and see if the clip is still on the old axle to ensure that it did not fall off?

the clip is still on old axle
can you get the boltsto the suspension to tight?
It's 4WD and differential is in front end the axle goes into the pumpkin
Auto Mechanic: cloe0626,
 replied 2 years ago
cloe0626
Phone call session started
Auto Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

1. The tech which was helping has opted out.
  2. Would you like me to help?