Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 97 chev van 350,when it is warned up and i turn…

Customer Question
i have a 97 chev...
i have a 97 chev van 350,when it is warned up and i turn off,i have to pump the hell out of the gas to get it to start,when it is cold it fires right up
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
3/6/2016
Auto Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Tom,

Can you give some more info please?

EFI or carburetor?

Gary

efi

Hi Tom,

Sounds like the engine is flooded from one or more weeping injectors.

How long does it need to be turned off while warm?

Does it blow black smoke for a short period when it eventually starts?

Gary

i have to go for now,but i do want to talk over phone if you can,no problem on $26.00.i do know that as soon as it cools it fires right up,the smoke im not sure,i will check it out!.what would be the best time for you to call?

Hi Tom,

I'm in Australia, and I think the phone call feature is available within the US only.

I feel I can help you without talking on the phone.

I you need to open the throttle a lot when the engine is hot, more than likely the engine is half flooded, like a percolating carburettor, from either weeping injectors or some other electronic issue.

At least you have proved the fault by opening the throttle. Once the engines starts, it performs normally for the rest of the driving cycle?

I would fit a fuel pressure gauge while the engine is hot, and monitor the pressure after shutdown. Then sparkplugs out for inspection. Let the engine sit for 20 mins. Crank the engine to see which cylinders the fuel went into.

Injectors out, ultrasonic clean and flow test, refit all parts and test vehicle.

Gary

Hi Tom,

Have you had a chance to perform the tests I have described above?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Regards

Gary

Gary
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician