Classic Car Service
Classic Car Service, Dealership Svc. Mgr.
Experience:  Over 30 years experience in the automotive field
14892859

Working on a chrys 300; headgasket job: car overheated until

Customer Question

working on a chrys 300; headgasket job: car overheated until engine shut down, losted all rad fluids kept driving until eng shut down. both heads badly warped; now on reassembly camshaft on left bank will not go back in; head seem to be twisted. is that possible. camshaft push back o k on disassembly. 2006 chrys 300 3.5L
Category: Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. I have encountered this several times in our shop. Owners drove the vehicle overheated until it quit. Warped the head spo bad you could see the warpage. If the heads are severely warped, they cams will nto fit back where they ride. When this happens it is best to replace the heads, replacement (oversize) camshafts are, to my knowledge, not available, and, if they were, it would take a really, really good machinist to line bore the cam journals. Sorry to say it but this looks like you need to replace the cylinder heads. I would not fool with getting them resurfaces as the top end of the heads are far out of true.

Please confirm that you have received my input. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks.