Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Airbag code 84 "Right Hand Side Impact Sensor Short To

Customer Question
Airbag code 84 "Right...

Airbag code 84 "Right Hand Side Impact Sensor Short To Ground"..........airbag code 71 "Left Hand Side Impact Sensor communication invalid"............what does these codes at actually mean? does this mean the airbags system was triggered at some point (hard codes stored in the module ) or is there an actual short in the system or something else I need to look at. I've tried to clear the codes, but they don't clear. I'm working (unfortunately) on a 2000 catera and I am getting multiple codes from my scan tool. I'm not sure of the history on the car, so i'm trying to understand what i'm dealing with. - ***** *****

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Airbag light is on..........pulled the codes, have several..........two of them listed above.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
okay, paid the 24........am I speaking with the same expert now or will I be directed to another person
2/18/2016
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Jones

Hello. Welcome to the site. Thanks for coming.

I'm ***** *****.

I'm here to provide as much information and insight as I can, to best answer your question.

Can you provide me with your VIN# ***** I can check for Service Bulletins?

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thank You

***** *****

W06VR54R31R049404 is the vin.....actually a 2001 model I believe.The main thing i'm looking to understand is "what these codes" actually mean in terms that will tell me what the issue is. I can read the codes, but i'm not sure I understand what the trigger mechanisms for activating them are. In other words, could these codes represent a situation in which the airbag system was deployed at some point, hard codes stored in the module, airbags bolted back in the car......but nothing else was done? My investigation indicates the car has been in an accident at some point in the past, possibly setting various codes. ...................Or does the codes mean there is a sensor or sensors that are defective? The LH code 71 referencing "LH side impact sensor communication invalid" what does that refer to in this car. This car is a little different in that the mechanism that your seatbelt retractor harness connects to ( the small part that is mounted to the inside (near the console) of each front bucket seat, is the part that actuates as compared to most vehicles that I've worked on. I'm used to seeing situations where a seatbelt retractor (the part that pulls out from the center pillar section) actuates, becomes inoperable and has to be replaced. For this car, the other part actuates, pulling or shrinking downwards during a collision event. It's hard to tell visually if the units have been activated as they only retract a small amount visually. Does either the 71 code or 84 code indicate these units (LH & RH) have actuated, needing replacement?? Basically I want to know "what part" are the codes referring to. Both seat airbags are intact.....no appearance of any activations.
Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

DTC 71 is an indication of an internal malfunction within the inflatable restraint side impact sensor (SIS).

DTC 84 Conditions for Setting the DTC

The measured leakage current to ground is above a specified value or the resistance is below a specified value in the SIS loop caused by a short to ground or a short between the side impact sensor - RF voltage circuit and the side impact sensor - RF signal circuit.

If you need more help, please use the "Reply" tab to continue our conversation - I'm happy to answer follow-up questions.

If you have no follow-ups at this time, please remember to Rate My Service.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.
Thank You
***** *****

Auto Mechanic: Daniel Jones,
 replied 2 years ago

Hi, Just wanted to get an update on how you made out with vehicle.
Thanks

Please take the time to leave feedback and rate my service for my response to your problem.

I don't get paid unless you rate my service.

Thank you for posting your question.

Your business is very valuable to us.

Thank You
***** *****

Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones
Daniel Jones