Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have 2007 suzuki xl7 replaced timing chains, I like to…

Customer Question
I have 2007 suzuki...

I have 2007 suzuki xl7 replaced timing chains, I like to perform compression check before starting engine. Car would not crank after third hole checked. can no longer communicate to ECU through scanner. red blinking light atop dash no longer comes on, instead a yellow security indicator in instrument panel does, never did before. door chime dings erratically when key is in on position, all doors closed and headlights turned off. The indicator lights in the steering wheel and heater control panel consisting of radio and the traction control light at the bottom of gear selector all glow, even when key is removed, doors locked and alarm set.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Name is sam

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
2/16/2016
Auto Mechanic: tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
tripletauto
tripletauto, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. So all this happened after you did a compression test? From what you are describing you have a loose ground on the engine causing communication issues. Check all your grounds and let me know what you find.

I already checked grounds and even added one for good measure since a lost ground can cause strange results.regards,sam

There is a couple different ground wires adding a ground will not do anything unless it was a problem with main ground wire. Look at the ones around the intake area tug on wires and be sure they are not broke inside insulation.

not after I finished compression test, I was in the middle of it. only checked three holes when it stopped working.

Is the check engine light coming on? Security light?

the red light on top of dash no longer comes on or blinks (alarm). Instead a yellow security light in the dash comes on, I never seen it before. it comes on when I lock the doors and blinks when I push the button a second time. there is no longer a connection through the DATA LINK CONNECTOR. scanner say cannot connect. sometimes the door chimes stay on when the key is removed. message in dash say stability control message
I used to be able to connect the scanner, but no more.
there is battery power to starter relay, no ignition power though, I don't know if there should be
I have checked for any weak wires all around the engine looking for a lost ground on loose connection. pin #16 on the dlc has 12+

If the security light is on in the cluster it will not crank. Check connections at exam be sure they are plugged in

check connections at "exam" ?. what is it that activates the yellow security and deactivates the normal red light? My problems started with this
is there away to check ecm?

sorry it should have said ecm. Unplug it and be sure there are no bent pins. Unhook battery for a few minutes.