Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

On Monday after school my car was off and when I went out…

Customer Question
On Monday after school...

On Monday after school my car was off and when I went out there later I heard the fan running, my stepdad said to unhook the battery and then yesterday we hooked it back up and tried to jump it but it still wont start

Mechanic's Assistant: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

Hopefully

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/13/2016
Auto Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

can you tell me the year and make and model of this car ?

a 2002 mustang

with the jumpstart on the car are all the dash lights lit up ?

which fan was running ? the coolant fan under the hood or the inside heater fan ?

all the lights light up and its the coolant fan under the hood

and it will not physically crank over at all ? not even a click from the starter ?

it sounds like its about to turn on but then it just keeps cranking

will it run on starting fluid ?

I don't know where to put the starting fluid at?
Auto Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago
Andrew Martin

Hello, maybe I can help. Before you unhooked the battery, was the car starting and running normally?

Auto Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

If the vehicle was starting fine before disconnecting the battery, the passive anti-theft system may have been tripped by disconnecting the battery. Try locking and unlocking the driver door with the key, or if you have a remote, lock and unlock the car with the remote with all doors and the hood closed. Then try to start the vehicle.

Auto Mechanic: Andrew Martin,
 replied 2 years ago

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.