Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Many times when I replace U-joints I have a problem with the

Customer Question

Many times when I replace U-joints I have a problem with the yoke being bent together from pressing out the old cups. Then, I can't get the new cups pressed in far enough for the retaining clips to seat in the grooves. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening, or easy way to rectify when it does happen?
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi James,

Do you use a press to disassemble uni-joints?

I knock out all the clips, then rest one yoke across an open vise and strike the high yoke with a copper hammer.

I can knock every cup out like this, I have never had this issue as you describe it.

You are clearly bending the yoke, if you can't reassemble the joint correctly.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I do use a press to disassemble. However, I usually cut the centers of them out with a cutting torch before I do this to make it easier to press out the cups. But I still have the bending problem. In fact, I don't see how anyone presses them out as a whole unit. I tried this a couple times and ended up with broken yokes. I'm really not understanding how you are using an open vise to do this.

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi James,

Search on youtube for "How to change universal joints with a vice".

There are many videos on there.

You can use a press but only to the point of where the cross touches the inside of the yoke.

Push one cup out and remove it, then push the cross back to push the opposite cup out.

Gary