Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Many times when I replace U-joints I have a problem with the…

Customer Question
Many times when I replace...
Many times when I replace U-joints I have a problem with the yoke being bent together from pressing out the old cups. Then, I can't get the new cups pressed in far enough for the retaining clips to seat in the grooves. Is there anyway to prevent this from happening, or easy way to rectify when it does happen?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
2/12/2016
Auto Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi James,

Do you use a press to disassemble uni-joints?

I knock out all the clips, then rest one yoke across an open vise and strike the high yoke with a copper hammer.

I can knock every cup out like this, I have never had this issue as you describe it.

You are clearly bending the yoke, if you can't reassemble the joint correctly.

Hope this helps.

Gary

I do use a press to disassemble. However, I usually cut the centers of them out with a cutting torch before I do this to make it easier to press out the cups. But I still have the bending problem. In fact, I don't see how anyone presses them out as a whole unit. I tried this a couple times and ended up with broken yokes. I'm really not understanding how you are using an open vise to do this.

Hi James,

Search on youtube for "How to change universal joints with a vice".

There are many videos on there.

You can use a press but only to the point of where the cross touches the inside of the yoke.

Push one cup out and remove it, then push the cross back to push the opposite cup out.

Gary