Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest
Experience:  ASE master tech for 40 years
3506196

2008 elantra with codes p0171 p0170 p0420 replaced rear o2

2008 elantra with codes p0171 p0170 p0420 replaced rear o2 sensor and pulled out front o2 sensor and looked in converter not pluged

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

the 420 is a cat code. the cat converter needs to be replaced. the precious metals are worn out and the converter is not doing its job anymore

171 is a lean code. possible causes are vacuum leak, mass air flow flow sensor, pcv valve or low fuel pressure from a bad fuel pump.

Roy

the 170 code is related to the 171 for fuel trim.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

anyway to test convertor

you need a real scan tool to monitor the O2 sensors. comparing the 2 wave patterns will confirm. the fact that the code set is a 99.9% chance the cat is bad

Roy

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my service

Roy