Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

My name is ***** ***** and I am trying to figure out an

Customer Question

Hi, my name is ***** ***** and I am trying to figure out an issue with my 2010 MDX
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: For the last year or so my MDX has developed a sort of "whining" noise when I am driving. It is like my car is in trying to get into a higher gear no matter what speed I am driving. And the whine gets louder. But the RPMs look fine / normal
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Expert:  SARMIENTO22556 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I will try my best to help you with your concern.

does the noise sound like its coming from the front or rear of the vehicle?

does the noise get louder or quieter while you are accelerating?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Front of the vehicle and it gets louder as I accelerate. But it is constant. For example, you can also hear it when going downhill and not stepping on the gas.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello? I have to go to get it looked at in a few minutes. I can't wait much longer. Wanted some idea before I went.

sorry for the delay. based on your symptoms you described, it sounds like it is coming from the front differential.

the pinion bearing is worn causing a whining noise all the time even if you are not accelerating.

it could also possibly be a hub bearing making the noise if it is more of a roar and not a whine.

this is just an educated guess, I am not there with the vehicle so I can't hear the noise for myself