Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

1996 Suzuki Quadmaster overheats when accelerated. It shuts

Customer Question

1996 Suzuki Quadmaster overheats when accelerated for long. It shuts down. It runs ok if you don't accelerate. It backfires when you shut it down.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

In some cases if the engine is running to lean (lack of fuel to the engine) this will cause an over heat issue as a lean issue causes the engine to heat up and this can also cause the back fire as well.I would have the fuel system checked to see if it is running lean and if a fault is found it will need repaired.Restricted fuel filter or fuel line can cause this here or even injector faults needing cleaned or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete! Thanks much! I will go to work on it soon and see if that fixes it. Also, on that same unit, the transmission doesn't shift well. When you first start it, and it's cold, it's ok. After it's warmed up, you have to shut it down, put it in neutral, re-start and shift to forward or reverse.
Once it's warm, if you don't put it into gear quickly, it revs up and lurches, when you put it into gear.
Thanks again, Jim
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The shifting issue may also be related to a lean running condition if the engine is revving up more then it should at idle.I would see if the engine is found to be running lean causing this fault here as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete