Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

My 2002 infinity qx4 idles at 2000 rpm unless I push down on…

Customer Question
My 2002 infinity qx4 idles...
My 2002 infinity qx4 idles at 2000 rpm unless I push down on the spring mechanism where the cable attaches. On the expressway it got stuck going around 60, I almost couldn't get it to stop. I kicked it into neutral and it went up to 5000 rpm. I am afraid to drive it now, can you help.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/25/2016
Auto Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do my best to help. First pull the fresh air hose off the throttle body and clean it, and see if that helps, test it by removing the cables, and see if the throttle lever returns to the stop by moving it by hand. If you remove the cables from the throttle lever, and move the throttle body lever by hand, see if it sticks without the cables attached, If it does, Then you will need a new throttle body, However it's most likely the throttle cable is frayed inside. and you will need a new throttle cable itself. To remove the cables, hold the throttle lever wide open by hand, then you can remove the cables from the lever by hand by pulling them out of the throttle lever, then pull the cables out all the way, push the gas pedal inside, and see if you can easily pull the cable back out of the sheath. if you can't , or it is tight at all, I would replace the cable. You can get the cable from Ebay for around 80$. I feel sure the dealership is more. It's either going to be the throttle body is dirty, the throttle body is defective and can't let the throttle plate close, or the cables or frayed, and I'm going to go with a frayed throttle cable. Let me know if you have any further questions. Thank you.

Thank you, let me know if you have any further questions.