Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

87 chev 1/2 ton 4X4 pickup with 5.7 liter TBI fuel

Customer Question
injection. pickup will not fire...
87 chev 1/2 ton 4X4 pickup with 5.7 liter TBI fuel injection. pickup will not fire, but if you pour gaAny thoughtss in the throttle body it starts and runs fine. Have replaced the electric fuel pump. Any thoughts? Puzzled in ND
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
1/22/2016
Auto Mechanic: C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic replied 2 years ago
C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic

Okay it can be that you got a bad new pump or there is a blockage in the fuel line to the Throttle body can even be bad connection to the pump. To be honest with you I have seen about every one of those on this year. I would begin by checking the voltage at the pump. Make sure you have battery voltage at the fuel pump and a good ground. Once you have checked if you find the voltage or the ground is a little under try cleaning the terminals and if it is still under we need to locate a bad connection in the wire. If they are good than we need to find out if you have good solid hard pressure going into the fuel filter. If you do this would indicate the blockage is either the filter or the fuel line beyond the filter. If you do not get good pressure on either side of the filter I suspect the new pump is faulty or something is blocking the fuel from flowing out of the pump. Everytime you turn the key on the pump should turn on and run. If it is not than we have a problem as well.

I do not hear the electric pump pressure up when the key is turned on. If I pour gas in the throttle body it starts right up and will run until I shut it off. ND

Do you have power and a good ground at the fuel pump?

C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr.
C. Walker, Jr., Auto Mechanic