Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have an 05 Isuzu npr work a 16' box and I was on the

Customer Question
interstate and that same light...
I have an 05 Isuzu npr work a 16' box and I was on the interstate and that same light came on and the transmission went into 3rd gear and wouldn't up shift from that. Does that seem like what would happen normally? About 144k mikes
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
1/21/2016
Auto Mechanic: Pete, Technician replied 2 years ago
Pete, Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Can you tell me what light it was that came on with this issue here?

Have you had the fault codes checked at all?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

A/T oil temp

O.k.,with this light coming on this indicates that there is either an internal electrical fault with the transmission oil temp sensor which is usually located on the transmission valve body needing replaced,the wiring to the temp sensor is damaged needing repaired or replaced or there is an internal mechanical fault in the transmission itself causing the internal fluid temp to become to hot.I have also seen on models that use a separate transmission fluid cooler that the cooler fins can become damaged or a restriction in the cooler that will cause this here.The cooler is usually either part of the radiator or separate in front or below the radiator.If you have a transmission fluid cooler you will have fluid lines leading off of the transmission to the front of the cab to the cooler.Check for any external damage to the fins needing repaired.

If this is o.k. this will have to be tested further to see if you need a temp sensor replaced in the transmission or any wiring issues as well as to see if there is an internal transmission fault.Usually if there is an internal transmission fault you would have fault codes set (check engine or check transmission light on the dash).This will have to be checked/tested further to be able to pinpoint and repair the cause here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete