Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I have a 1996 Holden Rodeo 2.8l turbo diesel. Between

Customer Question
2500-3500rpm there is a harsh...
I have a 1996 Holden Rodeo 2.8l turbo diesel. Between 2500-3500rpm there is a harsh vibration mostly felt through the accelerator. It doesn't matter wether you are stationary or driving it always happens within those rpm's
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/20/2016
Auto Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Trent,

There is a service bulletin about that very complaint.

It is to do with the accelerator cable bracket near the intercooler.

I'll see if I can find it for you and post it up here, so you can fix it yourself.

Gary

Thanks Gary, there is a hairline fracture in the engine mount. Do you think this be enough to cause it?

If the rubber is broken, you would certainly know about it.

A hairline in the rubber wouldn't cause your concern.

Unlike Commodore, I have never replace an engine mount in Rodeo.

Now if the hairline fracture is in an engine mount bracket (steel bracket), then it would be a concern.

Gary

Any luck finding that old bulletin?

Hi Trent,

After some more investigation, yours is early than I thought.

Yours would be a TF with a 4JB1 engine, where what I was thinking is RA with 4JJ1 engine.

If you can reproduce the vibration in neutral, then a two person analysis may find your concern.

At that age, it would be possible the engine mounts have lost their compliance and are starting to act as solid.

I would also see if the vibration is still there with the clutch depressed and in gear, that way the clutch plate and all the gearbox internals are isolated from the engine.

If you do engine mount rubbers and the bracket, make sure everything finds a an equilibrium when doing everything up, including inspecting the transmission mount.

I would also check the exhaust system for and impact damage, that may put stress on the engine/trans mounts.

I hope this may provide some help to you.

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary, still does it with clutch in and in gear. No exhaust damage. Front left hand side mount definitely needs replacing so will do that. Going to get my mechanic to rip the gearbox out and go from there I think...

Ok Trent, I'll hear from you in a little while.

Gary

Hi Gary, the gearbox is out and it is still vibrating. I guess this eliminates quite a bit but still no answers. The timing was way out when the mechanic got it. He fixed this so it is idling well. He is thinking maybe it has something to do with the fuel pump? The car yard I bought it from told me they replaced the fuel pump but it looks like they put a used one in? Any ideas?
Trent.

Hi Trent,

If it needed a fuel pump, they would be scarce now, so a wreckers pump may have been the only choice.

Where is the vacuum pump for the brakes?

It is on the back of thee alternator? Or in the timing case area with the fuel pump?

Has the clutch and flywheel been off?

Gary

Mechanic is convinced it's the fuel pump as the timing was so far out. So he is going to pull it out and rebuild it. Fingers crossed!
Ok, so the fuel pump needs a total recondition and by the looks of the rust has had some fuel contamination at some stage.
Still no 100% guarantee it will fix the vibration though! Just got a list and quote from the mechanic for about $2,000 for:VE pump labour
Remove and replace injection pump
Service injectors
Head and rotor
Drive Shaft
Cam PLate
Feed Pump
Pressure Regulating Valve Head & Rotor
Delivery Valves
Head Plug
Roller Kit
Overhaul Kit
Drive Shaft Seal WorkshopHoping insurance will cover some and the lying mongrels from the car yard will pay for the rest as they told me the pump was done. Mechanic sent me photos to the contrary.
Feeling a bit frustrated,
Trent.

A few of those parts look like have come from a motor that has been sitting in the rain for the past 6 months. I'd say the pump came from a wrecker, and some very sloppy assembly work afterwards.

I think your mechanic is right, and no doubt the injectors flow differently and/or the pump volumes are also different.

If this does fix your problem, stand by your guns against the car yard.

Do you have a video/audio of the vibration?

Gary