Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Have98 chev pick up 5.0, 4X4, half ton. Have replaced #8…

Customer Question
Have98 chev pick up 5.0...
Have98 chev pick up 5.0, 4X4 , half ton. Have replaced #8 spark plug wire 4 times this year. What could do this
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
1/17/2016
Auto Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

Is it failing due to sitting on exhaust manifold? Are the wires in the factory wire looms?

I asked this question here about 8 months ago and the mechanic said it was the wire or the plug. I've had mechanics keep changing the plug and the wire over the past 6 months and they keep going bad. The mechanics put there test equipment on the engine and it shows the plug or the wire. They change the plug and the wire and give it back to me. 4 different mechanics. Runs good for about 3-4 wks. Then the wire goes bad again
Not sitting on exhaust manifold. One of the first things to check
Mechanics have done compression tests, ran scopes up in the cylinders, pressure tested fuel line. Nothing out of line

What is the condition of the plug when it is replaced?

Plug is not fouled. Looks fairly clean. Put it back in. Changed the wire and that made the difference.
The wire seems to be the major problem.. what could cause the wires to go bad

It has to be getting hot. Have them put a heat shield on it.

Wire is not near the manifold. Thought of that. It is clamped off

what do you mean clamped off?

There is a little plastic clamp that keeps the wire away from the manifold

I am out of ideas. I will opt out and see if someone else can help.

I understand. I have 4 mechanics that have looked at it and don't have clue. I had one that thought the next step might be to change the distributor cap and roter. I am wondering if the #8 wire could be getting too much voltage
Auto Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

do you have 2 questions opened for this issue with your truck ?

how old is the cap and rotor ?

Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician