Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

I changed the spark plugs and now the car starts but shakes…

Customer Question
I changed the spark...

I changed the spark plugs and now the car starts but shakes really bad and squeals excessively

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

It's a 2004 ford escape and it barely starts if i pump the gas peddle, then it starts shuddering and starts squealing really loud when I press on the gas. I'm not sure how else to describe it as i'm a novice with cars

Mechanic's Assistant: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?

Ok. I'm really frustrated and if someone can help me figure out how to fix it without having to put a lot of extra money into the car it'll be worth it.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
can spark plugs be too tight? tightened them by hand with a torque wrench. autozone said they need to be tight, but now i'm concerned that I got them too tight.
1/17/2016
Auto Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 2 years ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

What make of spark plugs did you fit .

4 cylinder or the six where you have to remove the intake manifold .

Greg

not sure what make the spark plugs are. unfortunately i tossed the boxes. it's a 6 cylinder - I had to remove the manifold to get to the back 3
I got the plugs at autozone - the ones that matched my 2004 ford escape 4wd
Check engine light was on and the Autozone diagnostic code came back with camshaft position sensor. I replaced both the camshaft position sensor and the fuel filter and check engine light went off for several weeks. The the check engine light came on again. Autozone ran the diagnostics and the code came back with misfire on cylinder 1 and they said 99% of the time it is the spark plugs. Seemed like a simple fix. I was able to get the manifold off, and everything else off except for the spark plugs. I didn't have the strength to get them off so my nephew came over and got them off and put them back on for me.
I currently have a rental car, since I can't drive my car so I'm trying to get this resolved as quickly as possible. I'd really appreciate your assistance.

Okay this could be a lot of issue .

If you had the manifold off did you connect the vacuum lines at the back ,

was the manifold gaskets (blue rubber gasket ) replaced could be sucking in air ,

Was the No, 1 coil connected correctly this is the coil under the manifold back row

Was the plugs check (Gap) is the coil bad .

You should first remove the manifold again remove the No1 coil and remove the plug .

from the front row remove coil and plug and fit the No.1 plug and coil in it place , now the good coil and spark plug fit in the bad cylinder No.1 .

Replace the manifold clear codes , start and run engine, if still misfiring check for codes if the code changes to another cylinder to where you put the coil and plug from No.1 then we know we have a bad coil or plug .

If the misfire is still on No.1 then we have a problem with this cylinder .compression or bad injector .

Hopefully not . if misfire moved then check the coil swap over with one of the other on the front row (quick work)

clear codes run engine recheck for codes , if the code changes with the coil replace the coil if code stays the same replace the bad plug .

Please remember to only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied.

IF you feel the need to click either "Helped a little" or "I expected more",
please stop and reply to me via the CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have.
I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

Aftyer accepting you can get back to me anytime without any extra cost .

Kind regards Greg.