sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a co co392 and c0398 and have replaced the actuator

Customer Question

Customer: I have a co co392 and c0398 and have replaced the actuator motor and sensor. I have also got a guy to update the program twice. I am still getting service***** He also did the relearn on the sensor and the actuator motor. Now I am thinking I have a wiring problem. 2008 Sliverado
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The service*****comes on. After it get worked on it is not there then my wife comes back and says that it came back on again. After this last snow she put it in*****and it stuck. So then I crawled under the truck and disconnected the wiring harness from the sensor and actuator motor and reset it. I am a mechanic also and this has got me baffled
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will do it if I can resolve this issue
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the motor has been replaced then the issue has to be wiring or the transfer case module, the module not being that likely.

C0392 is for the rotational position sensor circuit, C0398 is a comparative performance code involving the sensor. The root cause is an issue with the position sensor signal circuit and the module is not seeing correct motor position. If the motor has been replaced with a known good part then then next step will be to double check connections and then test the sensor wiring from the motor to the module. Odds are on of the sensor circuits is open or has high resistance, but it could also be a short to power or ground.

rotational position sensor

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your time. I am taking the truck in on Friday. Wiring has always eluded me. It is not one of my fortes. I was headed to putting a new TCM in and getting it flashed but I didn't want to spend money on it that I already had. I will let you know what this becomes. Hence, am requesting for a refund. Thanks again
********** *************