Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Is there any way to find out the odometer mileage of a car

Customer Question

Is there any way to find out the odometer mileage of a car that has been consumed by fire. I just lost my 1966 MG Series 1100 to a fire that gutted the interior, melted the tires and a hole in the roof. The insurance company wants to know the mileage and I don' have a clue........and GOOGLE doesn't have the answer.
Category: Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

On older vehicles like this, the ONLY place the mileage is kept is the odometer. There is no computer or control module in the vehicle that it is stored at. If the odometer is melted beyond being able to take apart and read, then the nearest you could figure the mileage is on your vehicle's title. It has the mileage listed at time of sale. Then guestimate from that as to what the current mileage was.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?