Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles
77480539

I recently picked up an Isuzu Axiom 2004 decent price mom.

Customer Question

I recently picked up an Isuzu Axiom 2004 for a decent price for my mom. Something better to drive in winter then her low sitting in car. I bought the vehicle with known problems. It only turns over - does not start. The gal I bought it from said it was diagnosed from a local mechanic is a bad ECM. They quoted her $800. Before I bought the vehicle I verified the story through that mechanic questioning whether he was confident of his diagnosis and he told me "WE HAVE TO START SOMEWHERE" - I personally hate that answer. Gal I bought it from said she had recently changed the fuel pump. I have heard these have 2 and she didn't know which one so I'm guessing the pick up pump in the tank. From what I understand these are direct injection and they have a second fuel pump.
Part of the reason I bought the car was I thought there was a problem with the key in the immobilizer system. When I went to looked at the car she handed me a key that basically look like a plain Jane metal key with two halves of the FOB taped around it. She said she lost the original key and called a locksmith from Chicago out and cut that for her. I asked her if the car has ever ran off that KEY.. and she could not remember, said the car had been sitting for 6 months.??
I did take the 2 halves of taped FOB off of the key ...and without the them it will not even turn over the key symbol flashes on the cluster. Even with the battery out of the FOB car will not turn over. I spoke with a locksmith who initially told me if there is no chip in the FOB communicating with the car then the chip was missing it would never start . Then in a later conversation he said the chip must be integrated into the board within the fob if it is turning over. In our last conversation he summed it up that if the car is turning over then there's nothing that he can do that will make things any better. He could only cut me a new key that fits inside of a new FOB case so it is aesthetically pleasing, and told me he might have to program it to the car.
So now I'm back to wondering if it is the ECM as the mechanic diagnosed. I do know that there is no spark. I pulled a couple of the coils/wires out and put spark plugs in them grounding them in don't see anything.
I did spray throttle body cleaner in the air intake before checking for fire. I have all kinds of schematics for 04 axiom from all data my buddy printed for me. But I'm not good enough with them to know where to make checks with a meter.
I should also mention doing a small amount of research on ECM's they offer 02 - 04 for rodeo or axiom on eBay for around $100 used. Is this something that is swappable. I had the guys at pick-n-pull tell me that it's 04 only ,axiom only. That doesn't make sense to me because the eBay listers usually do their homework. Are they just saying that because it has to be programed once installed from an Isuzu dealer. Which by the way I cannot find anywhere close to me.
Please help!! My responses might be a touch delayed. I am back at work this week till Wed, But will have more time through the end of the week to make checks, THANKS , PHILL
Category: Car
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating.

The ECM must be programmed to your vehicle. There are a few sources you can send the ECM for programming. I am not confident that you need an ECM based on what you have wrote.

Do you have a scan tool? One with DATA will be required for proper testing.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I only have a cheap scan tooth that Bluetooth to my phone using torque app. Will that work?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

No I dont think it will be fast enough. Try hooking it up and see if it registers RPM while cranking the engine over.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will when home from work, it's gonna be late...because my schedule next few days my responses might be slow, but will keep updating. Thanks & I'll be in touch
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I tried to respond last night. Like I said it was about 10:30 or so pretty late. I plugged it in and it definitely shows rpms
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

OK. So we have a good crank sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
appears to be working
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

You are confident that is lacking spark? Have you confirmed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will again after work but yes. Should I use a meter at the coil or is the best way to insert a plug into the wire and ground it is that preferred
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

inset a plug and crank over

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alright it's going to be another late night at work. But I will check when I get home. Get back to you in the morning. It will be better come Thursday I am off work for the long weekend
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Have you checked it for codes?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I checked last night and there were none. When I pick the car up the battery was dead though...
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

crank it over check for spark and then check for codes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good I will double check both
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did check for spark. I pulled two plugs and coils grounded them while turning over and nothing. I also disconnected the coil wiring and put a test light in each of the 3 terminals. I have power all the time with key on to one of the three. But no flashing signal from any of the terminals while turning over.
I also plugged my reader back in and checked for stored trouble codes. There were two related to power train. They offer web look up while the adapter is plugged in. But my phone service is terrible so it would not load web results. I have not looked them up yet.
Wall adapter was plugged in I also checked rpms again. The cars tack does not move at all. But the adapter is reading between 160 and 200 while turning over only. I don't know what to make of that. Also I wanted to post a couple pictures of the key so I took pictures of the broken fob,taped to a full size key. Not that I think its an issue at all unless you think so. I will post pictures of all
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Couple of the screenshots got messed up because my phone is ridiculous you have to push the low volume and power at the same time nearly impossible to not get the volume symbol popping up all it was- showing rpms on a different screen
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

The P1249 is low fuel pressure and the P1626 is an immobilizer no signal. After looking at your key I think you need to address that first. It is not seeing your key which will cause no spark. You will have to call a locksmith as the key needs to be programmed to the car

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take care of that tomorrow and get back with you I will be in touch
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

OK

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well i blew my appointment this morning with a locksmith in next city that i had been talking with since getting the car. Was late so he said is a early day for them no time to get me in. Before this code was a consideration he had said that even though the key is ugly... it is clearly communicating with the car. He said that when the key is turnrd to "ON" that all dash lights, including the immobilizer, will come on. If immobolizer light goes out, then communication is ok.
To try to still get a locksmith today, i called a local locksmith that says he specializes in autos. He actually said exactly the same thing as the last locksmith. I explained whole story describing the condition of the key, history of the purchase.....etc.
He said if with ignition turned to on that if the immobilzer light goes out that the key is communicating with the vehicle.
My question is , could this code have been stored when I was trying just the naked key with no fob taped to it?? With just key as I men tioned , the car will not turn over, the immobilizer light will just flah on the cluster.
A quick web look up on the stored codes verified as you had said :
P1249 is definitely a circuit high, low fuel pressure
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
SORRY WASN'T FINISHED), accidentlly sent.
P1626 Is definitely immobilizer
added these web look ups. Should i be looking at connections/wiring for fuel pressure sensor?
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Yes the code could have been set because you tried it without immobilizer.

I agree with the lock smith I saw the code and still think it needs to be addressed.

Right now lets check fuel pressure. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no but i will get ahold of one tonight
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

OK

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It has been a couple of days since I have heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. Please remember that your rating should be based on the service you received. Not if you were unhappy about the results. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i apologize, we went out of town for the holiday, but i am back today...just haven't had the time to test fuel yet. I did go rent a fuel system test from autozone & will read how to use later tonight. I am stuck for a bit working on one of my driving teens cars as of right now. I was wondering why I am testing fuel though...if I know i am not getting any spark? Is it part of sequence to have fuel, then spark will start? Just wondering. I am really looking for how to confirm whether the ECM is good or bad, as my opening question was asking. Am I supposed to rate in between finding that answer? You have definitely been timely with responses, but i don't yet feel like am closer to knowing what is wrong with this car yet. The key FOB throws a wrench into things, but with 2 locksmiths confirming that if car is turning over, it is not a key issue, i'm ready to look past that & onto real reason NO START. I will post results from fuel test as soon as possible
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I agree that it is not a key issue. The reason I am asking you to check for fuel pressure is you have a code for low fuel pressure. I want to make sure I am not making any assumptions and that there is not a common cause of no fuel pressure and no spark. Fuel pressure within specs will get me back to checking for spark

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a limit to the time it takes to get a question answered. Just Answer sent me a link to rate them... you're sending me the link to rate you are we done my car still doesn't run. I have not had time because of a busy schedule to test a fuel but I will I apologize it's taking so long but with the holidays all that and a bunch of kids I have simply been busy
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

There is no time limit. If you reply every couple of days it will prevent from timing out

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Awesome I have $150 investment in a fuel pressure test kit. I am NOT going to take forever but just need some time working long hours blah blah blah
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

ok

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have time tomorrow for axiom.
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I should be fairly available tomorrow

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, respond when ya can. Thank you
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

no problem

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I had a little bit of time last night after work to finish a compression test I started late Wednesday niguy.All three cylinders on passenger side have 150 psi.
I was very disappointed when I read the driver side all 0. I realize jumping time in bending valves is probably the most likely. Not sure if it is interference engine yet. Have not looked on the internet. Can you think of any other condition with this unique engine that would cause this. I realize it is direct injection. While on that topic I did look for test ports for fuel. I cannot see above the tank. The lines coming out of the tank under car to fuel regulator I see no tests ports. From fuel regulator up to engine I see no test ports either. It goes between firewall an engine directly under intake plenum. Not being familiar with the engine I don't know how the setup is. I will post pictures they might help
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why would the car not be firing as well. Also when compression testing I thought I smelled gas in first but seemed very vague towards the end. I don't understand how the engine works well enough to no why there would be no fire and possibly no gas if jumping time is the condition
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It is likely not firing because the timing chain has broken a sensor. You need to correct the compression problem prior to worrying about others. Make sure you inspect the cam and crank sensors when you are taking apart

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

It is an interference engine and it is a timing belt not a chain

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

Put a belt on and redo the compression test. I see conflicting information as to whether it is interference or not

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 year ago.

I have not heard heard from you. Do you still need assistance? I have also noticed that I have not received a rating from you. Please remember that your rating should be based on the service you received. Not if you were unhappy about the results. If for some reason you question did not get answered please reply. I am only compensated for my time when you leave a positive rating. Your understanding is appreciated.