Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Opel Frontera 2.5tdl blows fuse which serves indicators,

Customer Question

Opel Frontera 2.5tdl blows fuse which serves indicators, horn, reversing lights. fuse no.F15D.asked on 6th Nov 2015 no response as yet,!!
Category: Car
Expert:  Classic Car Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you, as I see you have been waiting a while for help. Whilst not an Opel expert, blown fuses are caused by short circuits, and are common to any make and model. Please advise what, if anything, has been doe to check this problem. I will do my best to assist you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuse replaced with 21watt lamp, to protect wiring, If left overnight the indicators, horn and reversing lamps work alright until starting the engine at which point the lamp lights brightly, showing a short on this circuit. After initial start the circuit shows permanent fault. I am a retired electrician with countless years in fault-finding, more recently in electronics and associated systems. I would appreciate any help as I live up a Spanish mountain.

Does the fuse blow only when you start the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Initially yes, but anytime after, when only turning on the ignition it still blows

let's disconnect the battery. Then disconnect the wires to the alternator. Then reconnect the battery and retest. Please do not start it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
fault still showing

Let's disconnect the battery and reconnect the alternator. When the fuse is blown, the car runs Ok, is this correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
everything else works except the horn, indicators and reversing lights which this fuse protects, according to the Haines service manual.

what year is this Opel?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1998

I am having great difficulty finding a wiring diagram for this vehicle on the internet.

It seems strange that the horn, the indicators and the reverse lights are caused to fail by starting the car. Since none of these units are integral to starting, perhaps the problem is in the Park/Neutral switch on the transmisison. If you have a short in the switch (which causes the reversing lights to come on when the selector is moved, thsi could blow the reversing light fuse.

I would like to try disconnecting the park.Neutral switch on the transmission and then turn the key to on; see if the problem disappears.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry but this is a manual transmission vehicle

Let us look closely at the fuse panel. Does it have a small rectangular box attached to it?

Let us consider this: This really sounds like a body control unit internal problem. When we see bizarre problems that we cannot sort out, the most common denominator is the body control module.

This might not be the one you need, but my experience it telling me that this is what you need to replace.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/OPEL-VAUXHALL-FRONTERA-B-2-2-DTI-BODY-CONTROL-MODULE-8971863990-4608096-AL-/221931861821?hash=item33ac2b773d:g:984AAOSw0JpV6V1u

This unit distributes power throughout the wiring. If the fuse in question passes thru this device, I would be replacing it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There doesn't appear to be any unit that you describe attached to either fuse box (engine bay, or inner cab beside the dash). We seem to be running out of options!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have access to all the under dash having removed cover panels earlier.

Look at your wire diagram on the power distribution. Look for something that is some type of power distribution center.

If there is no separate box, then the power distribution is built into the fuse panel that is under the dash. I am thinking you have a cross circuit here. Has this vehicle every had body damage on ther fuse panel side, a water leak in that area, or the windscreen replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To my knowledge I have to say no to all the above but due to it's age there may have been in the past. I will remove the under-dash fuse panel and get back to you.

ok.