AZTechBrian
AZTechBrian, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner
77606712

I have a 1991 Suzuki Sidekick with an automatic

Customer Question

I have a 1991 Suzuki Sidekick with an automatic transmission, Can I tow it on a tow dolly just by putting the tranny in nutural, or do I have to take out the univeral joint?
Category: Car
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

If you are going to be towing it with the drive wheels on the ground, it's best to remove the drive shaft to prevent damage to the transmission.

Often times, tow truck drivers will lift*****cars and trucks by the rear wheels and lock the steering wheel with a bungee cord and pull the car backwards.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What I want to know is with front wheels on the tow dolly, do I just put the*****tranmission in nutural or do I have to take out the universal joint?

You should remove the drive shaft so your transmission will not be spinning with the rear wheels. If you want to just remove the u joint and leave the drive shaft in the transmission, that is fine as well. As long as you bungee cord it up so that it's not hanging down. Just putting it in neutral is not going to be good enough on an automatic transmission. If it were manual, then it would be ok.