Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

A couple of months I asked some questions regarding the

Customer Question
Hi Brad, a couple of...
Hi Brad, a couple of months I asked some questions regarding the hydraulic lifters! I've went one step further and rebuilt the engine, new positions/ rings, lifters, pushrods and timing chain, rod bearings. My problem is now when I've tried to start it
up and break in the engine it won't start and takes couple tries to turn over and when it does start everything is out of sync and doesn't idle I've noted the correct spark plug wires and where they go! And I'm 100 percent sure the it's installed correctly!
As it was before. I even looked at the diagram and everything matches so I'm 100% sure it's installed properly For a rebuilt engine. Does the engine need to be retimed with the piston being TDC? It's already in the truck so there's no way for me to know if
it's TDC on cylinder 1 It's not idleing and will shut off when started only if give it gas it will continue to run! The engine is not yet breaked in so there's not much I can do The crank sensor and other sensor I never changed but I'm planning too! When I
can afford it! For a rebuilt engine do I need to reprogramming and retiming the ignition before starting!? I'm quite interested in your inputs on this Thank you in advance!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
10/21/2015
Auto Mechanic: Brad, Dealer Technician replied 2 years ago
Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician

Good evening and welcome to JustAnswer!!

What is the compression of the cylinders? Is the check engine light on and what codes are active? Being it's a HEMI you the ETC which is Electronic Throttle Control(Fly-By-Wire) and it may need to be relearned... Will it stay running if you give it throttle?

Talk soon,

Brad

Hi Brad good evening!
I'm unable to give you a compression test stats at this moment as I've never done one! And lack the equipment!
I'm looking into ordering a compression test kit very soon!I don't reside in North America and where I am it's extremely hard to borrow one or even find one and if they do sell one it's almost double the price.
But I will order in the next two weeks coming and provided you the compression stats as I'm curious my self!
At what PSI would be safe for proper cylinder function!?I have an innova aqueous 3130 scanner and it conects but doesn't retrieve any codes at all... I don't know why.
It works on every other car even a Chrysler 300 with the 5.7 but does not read mines for some reason.The check light was always on from when I purchased it.Yes it will stay running when giving throttleI know this is not much to go please excuse the lack of important info at this time! I'm learning as we go!

Thanks for the reply!!

I see you said your learning... And did you rebuild the engine yourself as in disassemble and reassemble the machined parts and installing rings on the pistons and such?

And a good compression for a rebuilt engine is around 150+ and I'm hoping that you do have good compression and it's a throttlebody issue.. Because if it's low on compression you will need to first make sure it's TDC and if not then you likely have bent valves but let's get the compression checked and go from there..

Talk soon,

Brad

Thanks Brad,Yes I installed all piston and rings, rod bearings according to the specs stated in the Ram repair manual!
Torqued according to the diagrams and sequences and correct ft pounds / NmCylinder walls were lightly deglazed/honed and piston/ rings were of standard size!The heads were cleaned by me and all valves checks and seated correctly and were in good condition!
But there were some slight damage on top piston #1 and the corresponding valve or around the valve head had slight damage! But nothing major ..I did use a brass wire brush dremel to smooth it out which didn't remove any materials!I'm NOT sure what was the reason for that the piston #1 to be damaged on the top but that was the reason I decided to rebuild! The engine!The block was checked by me using feeler guages as that was available to me at that time. We have no machine shop catered to engines here in the Caribbean! So I used what I had available :)The crank and cam was left untouched inside as well as the timing chain that was replaced prior so I did not touch those!I cleaned the throttle body and also the spark plugs are fairly new and cleaned.I went through the possible issues in my mind and it doesn't seem to be major machenical issue. I followed the book to spec and rechecked everything before the engine was placed into the truck!I'll drain the oil and try to get cylinder on TDC, recheck the throttle body, clean the electrical connection and see what happens. I will send you the compression test very soon when I get the kit!Is it possible to determine if it's a broken valve via compression test!
I will take the covers off and check the valve spings as well!Best regards,
Steven M

If you will just do a compression check first and let me know the readings so I will know if it's internal or not... I'm hoping is just a ETC issue and if so do you have access to a Witech scantool to relearn the ETC? It will have you press the accelerator and hold it to learn the values.

Keep me posted,

Brad

Ok thank you once again!
Will keep you posted in the next two weeks when I have the test kit!No I have no access to the scan tool
And there is no Chrysler dealer on the island!Have a good night!

I've only ever used OEM dealership scantools so I'm not sure if any aftermarket scantools will relearn it but test the compression and let me know.

Have a good one,

Brad

Brad
Brad
Brad, Dealer Technician