Chris (aka-Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a miss on clynders 1,2 and 3 on a 2004 ford tauris

Customer Question

I have a miss on clynders 1,2 and 3 on a 2004 ford tauris with a 3.0 enjine
Category: Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have spark at the plugs. I have injector pulse. I have 150 to 145 lbs of compression
Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. Welcome to our site.

Are you getting codes P0301, P0302cand P0303, or just the misfire with no MIL on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have all 3 code plus po316

OK. P0316 is just the PCM telling us the missfires occurred within the first 1,000 revs after start-up, so we need to concentrate on the other codes.

Have you noticed any loss of coolant but can't find a leak?

When you say you have spark at the plugs, Is that spark the same in intensity as the one from any other cylinders that are not misfiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same amount of spark it does have a small water leak but it is where the timing cover meets the block it is not the head gasket

Well, those P0XXX codes are the PCM's way of telling us that those cylinders turned the crankshaft at a slower speed than the other ones did and that can be caused by things like insufficient spark or burn time, or insufficient fuel being delivered to those three cylinders - at this point, we won't consider mechanical failure as an option because of the good compression.

We should also eliminate fuel delivery at this time because it would be rare for three injectors to fail at the same time (unless there is a problem with the harness, which you haven't mentioned)

That leaves us with spark at the possible culprit. Now, unless you have an engine analizer we could quickly connect and check both spark creation and delivery, I think we should take a close look at the ignition coil. Could you disconnect the spark plug wires from the coil and see if the terminals are clean and free of sulfates?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i put a new coil on it to first get running The customer had replaced the plogs and wires hinself he said it ran good for a while and the started missing bad he could not get it going and brought it to my shop.

So, it's doing this with a new coil? how about plugs and wires?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
plugs wires and coil are new

Please don't take it the wrong way, but going by what my mentor told me many years ago; "check and check again" Are we positive we have everything hooked up in the correct firing order? - see attached graphic.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The ford coil i removed had firing order on it that match up with the diagram you sent me

OK. If all the parts are new and everything has been installed correctly, perhaps we need to look elsewhere for the cause of the misfires. Since this is happening within 1000 revs of start-up, we could take into consideration the possibility that the old bad coil fedback and damaged the drivers in the PCM. Do you have any kind of tool that would allow us to look at how long is the PCM keeping the primary circuit open on each of the three sections of the coil pack? While we're on that subject, can you look at injector on-time for those cylinders as well?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i dont have the equipment for that i am going home for the day Thank you

In that case, I'll opt out and open your question back to the field so other experts may chime in. Please don't reply or the site will revert the question back to me.

Best Regards.

Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

The previous tech has opted out and will no longer be responding.

Would you like me to try and help?

Was that compression reading on all cylinders or just the back head?

Is this a dead miss or intermittent?

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Hello again, I am sorry you were not pleased with my help.

I hate that you paid to get an answer but left, what appears to me, not satisfied.

Just so you know I am still here and available to help any day. We can start over fresh or just pick up where we left off.

Chris