Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2003 Land Rover Discovery II 4.6L V8 began to hard start

Customer Question
after lunch. It was...
2003 Land Rover Discovery II 4.6L V8 began to hard start after lunch. It was starting fine in the morning and then eventually it wouldn't even do that. I called LR of Dallas and based on my story he said it sounded like the fuel pump was going out. $695. I drove it until it stopped. I found a fuel pump online and ordered it. $70. But it looks identical and it works because it put a battery directly to it and it hums right along. I know the pump is building pressure because I decided to removed the hose on the fuel pump and it sprayed a huge nonflammable blast. I tested the relay and checked the fuel fuses. I bought a fuel pressure tester guage kit and it reads zero. When I am screwing in the test guage to the fuel pressure port I can feel some gasoline. i also put a battery directly to the old fuel pump and it still works so my guess is the fuel pump was never the problem. I checked the inertia switch but I'm not sure how to tell if it is on or off. It just clicks but doesn't say on or off. Not sure what to do.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
9/28/2015
Auto Mechanic: Greg, Technician replied 2 years ago
Greg
Greg, Technician

The inertia switch is a spring loaded so if you knock on the switch lightly with a screwdriver handle it should pop and make a click ,

then when you press it in should also make a click and stay in the down position .

Then on the connector you should have power on one of the wires 12+volts .with the switch in the OFF position (UP)

and power on both with the switch on (down position).

Check this out then get back to me .

If not sure pull the wiring connector and jump the wires and try and start .

Greg

The switch does toggle up and down but will not stay in the down position. I tried to hold it in the down position during crank but the LR still wouldn't start. I removed the inertia switch cover and the spring and brass butterfly thing is broken (disassembled or just loosely laying in inertia switch housing). So I've ordered another switch assuming for certain that would be a must.
I will try jumping the wires as well.

Let me know what happens .

Rgds Greg

I tried to jump the inertia switch and although I could hear a hum when LR was on, still no start. And my 4-way flashers won't stay off. Even if I pull fuse and replace it, the flashers come back on....

Okay so before you jumped the switch there was no fuel pump working .

Greg

There was no fuel working. True.The pump will pump fuel (when direct power is applied) to the pump. I can hear it pumping and can hear the fuel circulating through the line. I'm not sure how much fuel is needed to prime the line - if any. I hear it flow and it doesn't smell overwhelming as flooded so I'm uncertain where it's going. As mentioned earlier, I can feel fuel and smell it if I activate the pressure valve. The inertia switch has been something I recently discovered. I pulled the rubber cover and noticed it could be depressed but it always (since I discovered it) extracted to the up position. I figured it was functioning properly since but once you told me it should be in down position I removed the switch from the firewall to more closely inspect it. That is when I discovered that the brass butterfly and spring were not properly assembled and functioning. I am uncertain what happened to these components, maybe something tripped the switch and damaged the internal pieces...? I have one on order. Meantime, I pumped the inertia switch harness as instructed. When I jumped it and the ignition was turned on I could hear a humming (as if something... Maybe fuel injectors I do not know) sound so the jumping made something work but leaving it on (humming) and going back to the fuel pump sending unit I hear nothing back there. The vehicle cranks but will not start. I wanted to verify that the fuel pump would work simoutaneously with the inertia switch jumped so I applied direct power to the fuel pump using a 12V5A battery and the hum of the pump began sending fuel (somewhere and yes I looked on the ground there is no loss of fuel). At some point in all of this my 4-way hazards began flashing and restart every time the fuse is reinserted. In 50-years the most I've ever done to a car is change the oil so this is new territory for me. I enjoy it but it's all new to me. I bought a $99 Land Rover book that break everything into third shop levels and it's over my mind (right now). I'll get it eventually. And I have a 1978 Bronco II and a 1965 Ford F100. I just noticed your specialty is Chevy. Am I at the wrong place? Thank you!

Thank you for the detailed information .

You said you called out LR of Dallas and they said it was the fuel pump ,so i thought that

they would of also done a diagnostic scan of the management system ??

So was helping you in finding out why the pump is not working and now found it was the inertia switch .

these do fail .

Anyway we have to do a diagnostic scan of the system and check for malfunction codes ..

Can you do this ..

Kind regards Greg

I can do a scan. Does it have to be LR? It is $250 just to get in the door for the scan. There was a ticking sound before all of this and the ticking sound, I thought was the reason behind the hard starts. Someone told me the lifters were sticking. I tried to buy lifters and nobody sells them except LR. That was when I called LR and they are $41 each and there are 16-each. The guy on the phone told me to stop asking for a part and to tell him what the LR was doing. He said in 30-years he's probably only sold 16-EA lifters. So I told him and he said the fuel pump was failing.
I have a friend that has a computer reader that says it works on LR. Do you think it works the same?

Lifter when you have the engine running .

this can be sorted out with a engine flush and new engine oil

that i can explain how to do this when you arev ready ,don;t buy anyparts

Check battery voltage you need 12.4 plus or the relays may start clicking if the battery is low on charge .

First a diagnostic scan .

And with you now enjoying the work on this vehicle invest in a good scan tool you can get a good one from 50 - 250

less than going to LR .

Scan tool This one is 99 pounds .

Rgds Greg

the scanner arrived today.Now what?
image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg
These all show no DTCs. Petro M52, Auto gearbox, ABS, and SRS. They show one message. BCU & Transmission, Gauges, Heated screen, lighting, power Distribution, security, warnings & sounds, washers & wipers also say no DTCs.

Okay go into data stream and get me the readings, at idle and again at

2000 rpm .

Nice tool working okay .

But not all systems have completed 5 of them .

Need to do a longer test drive though town and down the highway at 50mph for at least 5 minutes at this speed .

Greg

Remember it will not start. :-(

When cranking the engine spray ether down the throttle body at the same time and let me know if she now starts up .

Just go though the scan tool and clear all codes even if there are none.

Greg

Hi remove the hose as shown in the diagram .

Here you spray down the TB when cranking , if she fires up and dies then we know we have ignition system working and the problem is fuel delivery ..

Greg

Something spitting and sputtering but not staying running. I sprayed about 10-15 seconds twice. Should I spray more or less?

Okay we do have spark ,

have one sit in the car and press slightly the throttle when at the same time the engine is cranking spray down the throttle body .

If she wants to start and fires up and spits and coughs then we do have a sparking engine and a problem with the fuel .

Greg

We did as requested. It cranks and cranks for 1-minute with maybe 5-10 seconds of spitting and sputtering twice in that time. Other than that it just turned over without a big impact from Ether.

Please do a compression test and check the colurs of the spark plugs .

Greg

How do I conduct a compression check when the first step in the process is that the engine must be at operating temperature. It won't start.
Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician