Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2003 ford Taurus fuel gauge inop

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
9/21/2015
Auto Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 2 years ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is***** means your fuel level sending unit has failed which is located in the tank. It is about a 2 hour job to replace and a $150 part so around $350 total depending on where you go. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

No sir I did that already same issue and dash replaced
Does this go through the gem module

No it doesn't, it sounds like you will need to replace the yellow/white wire that goes from cluster to sender. Here is a wire diagram to help with testing, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b2v3pgcyj2qfuwq/sender.pdf?dl=0
-

The wiring diagram shows it going through pcm its setting a ck engine light

What code ?

Po460

Here are testing instructions from manual. At this point I'd verify ground at sender is good and if so run new wires from sender to cluster and from sender to PCM. Otherwise you will need to follow wires to find damage. Let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/o6zduo5s8ewe10g/0460a.pdf?dl=0
-
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjn9827l0s906jl/0460b.pdf?dl=0
-

I had the fuel gauge working and the fuel pump quit now neither are working where is relay for pump and how do I tell if this is extended range or standard range

How did you get them working?

Used my power probe too put a ground back there but now neither works have power and grounds are good I have spark but no fuel

Have you checked power/ground at the fuel pump?

sir

Is it good or missing power?

Good but I plugged another pump in and does nothing.os the fuel pump realay part of the fuel pump driver module

There are only two wires going to pump. black/pink wire is ground and white/red is power. Are these the two wires you tested?

I actually have another new pump and have it out tested wires at pump plug in

If it is maintain 12v and good ground but not any pressure I'm going to say new pump is problem or out of fuel. Let me know, thanks.

my ground wire going to the pump has power going to it I can pit a ground to itand pump works is pcm bad or as I asked before could this be an extended range pump and not a standard range and also asked where the fuel pump relay is
Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Different expert here.

The fuel pump relay is in the battery junction box in the engine compartment.

If the fuel pump works when applying a direct ground to it, then either the wire from the pcm is bad and needs to be replaced or the pcm is faulty on the fuel pump circuit and the pcm will need to be replaced

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager