George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ yrs, AAS Automotive Technology, Factory trained Asian specialist
13574682

Why does the Hummer H2 6.0L 2004-07 have two sets of engine

Customer Question

Why does the Hummer H2 6.0L 2004-07 have two sets of engine oil cooler fittings going into radiator end tank? There is one set for the H2, Sierra/Silverado, SUVs, etc. and one set that is H2 6.0L only. What app gets the H2 only set? Thank you
Category: Car
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.
Hello I will help you with your question,
Can you tell me where you are seeing this?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Had a customer return a rad saying the EOC fitting was wrong. Went to a body shop to get the "right" one. Delco lists two: Part Number: 15190249 for H2 only and Part Number: 22988269 for the H2, pickups and SUVs. I supply the 22988269
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Click here

Most of the aftermarket radiators will have provisions for both a transmission oil cooler and the enigne oil cooler. Not all models used both. If you look at the link above you will see the AC Delco radiator with both sets of ports and the alternate part numbers. Some of these come with a spare set of fittings that can be changed out to fit the application or the fittings off the old radiator can be transferred to the new.

Warning only change one fitting at a time or the tank will drop into the raditor and lose its seal.

Let me know if that is clear.

Thank you

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know all this. I'm asking why the H2 has their own EOC fitting for 04-07 6.0L. Is it for a select VIN? Tow package?
Expert:  George H. replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it may be a tow package. Part of replacing the radiator is seeing if the fittings are correct, sometimes you have to swap them over. I don't understand why they didn't just do that and returned the radiator?

The base threads are all the same and the aftermarket does try to cover all the combinations in the fewest part numbers. If they wanted to they could order by vin from the dealer and wait for the rad to come in but that will be about triple the price of a quality aftermarket rad.

By returning it rather than changing the fittings to the correct ones they have wasted more time than it would be to just do the swap.

I don't have all 17 part numbers that GM engineers decided were needed to cover all the variations of the rad for all the trucks (engineers like to change from year to year to get their bonus) and have learned over the years to just roll with it and do what needs to be done to repair the vehicle.

If you wanted a part history for exactly what fitting was used and what year it was changed that information is not available outside of GM engineering.

Please let me know how I can help you with your question

Thank you