Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I have a 2004 rodeo 3.2L, I am replacing the TPS-model

Customer Question
TH422, because of the Reduce...
I have a 2004 rodeo 3.2L, I am replacing the TPS-model TH422, because of the Reduce Power alert. the unit would not fit back in properly, there is that metal spring flange on it. So is used a thin metal rod to push it down, the unit snapped in, now I am getting multiple misfires, reading from my code reader. I can't find any books for the 2004 rodeo, so what is the proper why to install it?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 3 days by:
8/19/2015
Auto Mechanic: Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer replied 2 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer

Hi there. Just logged in and saw your question. Do you still need help with this issue? If so, be aware that misfires can trigger the Reduce Power condition as well. What are the current code numbers?

p0300 is what I am getting, also , I took off the EGR and the gasket is missing, not burnt, or disintegrated gone. Could this have caused the initial "Reduce Power" issue?

If there was a significant vacuum leak, then yes, it could.

The thing that bothers me is what you had to do in order to install the new TPS. The actuator in the throttle body that pushes the TPS arm should have been in such position as to allow the new TPS to go back on and fit without having to use any sort of tool or metal rod. All of which points to the computer trying to compensate for the vacuum leak by moving the throttle valve to stabilize idle speed.

Let's do this; first, replace the EGR gasket and erase the codes. Next, start the engine, turn the A/C on, apply the brakes and shift the trans to Drive. Let the engine idle like that for about 5 minutes to see if the computer relearns the correct idle setting. Please let me know if that does it.

Best Regards.

First I should have stated that this is the second time I replaced the TPS, my mistake. The TPS would not fit straight in, so I used a screw drive to push down on the TPS arm, it snapped in then. Now this time, the second time, got the same error code I received before. So I naturally thought the TPS went bad. I did the same steps as before, but I immediately started having the misfire problems. There is no manual for the 2004 rodeo, I looked everywhere. I found someone with the same issue, he looked at his EGR and found it was missing a gasket, so I looked, and no gasket.

I see. Regarding the manual, you won't need one to solve this issue as we are professional technicians with access to our own databases.

Back to the problem at hand, which code number was it you were getting? Also, do you have access to a scan tool capable of reading sensor data (PID)?, how about a good multimeter?

P1125 was the error code. After I installed the TPS, the code never came back or any code pertaining to the TPS or Pedal Position Sensor, yes, I have an ODB II reader, no I don't have a multimeter.

OK. P1125 is not a TPS code; it sets when the computer sees the Limit Performance Mode is active. You can clear that code either by disconnecting the battery negative cable (make sure you have whatever security codes you need for alarm, radio, etc. before doing this) or with a Tech II scan tool - code readers can't read sensor data (PIDs).

What might have happened was that the engine wasn't getting enough fuel, which caused the Reduced Power and triggered the P0300 on the second OBD trip.

Biggest obstacle I see in diagnosing and fixing this issue is lack of tools. All my knowledge and experience combined with my desire to help you means nothing if you don't have access to the tools we need, such as, for this particular test, a fuel pressure tester. However, if you go to a place like Advance or Autozone, then you can borrow the tester through their loaner program. What do you say?

Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer