Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Honors degree in Mechanical Engineering, worked 8 years as a Formula 1 engine engineer.
12772297

I am working on a 1993 GMC W7 cabover with a 6 cyl diesel

Customer Question

I am working on a 1993 GMC W7 cabover with a 6 cyl diesel engine. Its been sitting for a couple years, and I know it was running when it was parked. I can't get it started when I crank it. I have gotten fuel to the filter housing, and I have cracked the lines at the injectors, but I dont get any fuel to the injectors. Is there anything else I need to do to prime the system?
Category: Car
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.

Hello

I'd suggest replacing the filter if you haven't already

It may have developedan air leak on the fuel supply pipe from the tank to the engine. The engine has no separate lift pump and relies on the built in one in the injection pump. If a leak has developed on the fuel suction pipe then air entering the system will air lock the pump.
Try pumping up the fuel using the hand pump in the engine bay on the filter housing, then crack off / loosen each injector pipe in turn while cranking theengine and getting an assistant to operate the primer. This will expel air from the injection side and the engine should fire up. The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
Hi
do you still need help?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This project has been put on the back burner, can I get back to you in a few weeks to continue?
Expert:  Matt replied 2 years ago.
no problem
just get back to me on this post