Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Again with the 92 454 chevy r.v well i have replaced the

Customer Question
hi gary jerry again with...
hi gary jerry again with the 92 454 chevy r.v well i have replaced the entire distributor, and the motor still dies when I hook up the map sensor , you told me to let you know how it went once I replaced the distributor. what would cause the motor to die
when I hook up the map sensor?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
8/4/2015
Auto Mechanic: Gary, Technician replied 2 years ago
Gary
Gary, Technician

when you connect the MAP can you keep the engine running with your foot on the gas pedal ?

there are NO vacuum leaks at all including the throttle body base gasket ?

and that vacuum line has good vacuum at it ?

There are no vacuum leaks yes everything has good vacuum line
Gary if you want to call me my number is(###) ###-####jerry

the ignition timing is set correctly ?

it is set correctly
It is doing the exact same thing it was b4 I replaced the distributor. It idles fine until I hook up map sensor and then runs like shit

any access to a scan tool to see live computer data ?

is the MAP new ?

i am curious what the MAP sensor is sending back for a signal to the computer

with the key ON and you unplug the MAP does one terminal show 5 volts and one show a good ground ?

No access to live tool, have replaced the map sensor twice have tested it did vacuum test on map sensor commuter plug in module is giving me no bad codes gives me code 12 which means it's talking to the computer
to your question about volts. With vacuum tool hooked to map sensor voltage steadily decreased while vacuum increases

at this point i have never seen this before

let me ask how much do you have to touch the gas pedal to keep it from stalling ?

I can do anything with the gas pedal I want it doesn't recover until I let my foot off the gas pedal. I will check for all possible vacuum leaks again

can you be sure you have 7 to 13 PSI of fuel pressure at the throttle body key ON engine OFF ?

Will have to get pressure gauge. It does seem like when hooking up map sensor engine starves for fuel

ok let me know

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician