Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

I want to put the good 3.5L motor from my bent 2002 Isuzu Trooper

Customer Question

I want to put the good 3.5L motor from my bent 2002 Isuzu Trooper 4WD into a 2001 Isuzu Trooper 4WD that has a bad motor. Both have automatic transmissions.
I looked at buying a used motor for the 2001, but the vendor makes a distinction between those manufactured before and after 5/01.
1. What changed in the engine assembly?
2. Can I use the newer motor manufactured in 03/02 in the older vehile that was manufactured in late 2000?
3. What modifications would have to be made to accommodate the newer motor?
4. Would transferring the newer motor along with its transmission be helpful or neessary?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tranny in both is the 4L30E.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I discovered that the older model engine, the 300-62007A, has a camshaft position sensor. The newer engine, installed in Troopers manufactured after May 2001, does not. The newer engine, the 300-62007B uses the VRS system to determine the position of the #1 piston.
So, now my question is whether there are modifications to allow the newer engine to go into the older vehicle, and what are they, and how complex. Remember, I have a good engine, transmission and electronics in the bent 2002 Tooper.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
SHORT VERSION OF MY QUESTION--Is there a way to use the newer 300-62007B motor with VRS system in a slightly older Isuzu Trooper whose 300-62007A motor used a camshaft position sensor?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.
I don't see or show the specifications between the two here but you will most likely need to swap over the engine and transmission as well as the wiring harnesses for them and the computers to make this work properly.
Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I gave up on you guys and made the decision on my own not to buy the 2001. Thanks anyway!
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
O.k.,if there is anything we can help with in the future let us know.
Thanks Pete