Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Crystler pt cruiser: I have an 04 pt cruiser 4 cyl. Non turbo

Customer Question
I have an 04 pt...
I have an 04 pt cruiser 4 cyl. Non turbo and in the front it has a scrubing sound like the rotor i have replaced the rotors, breakes, and calipers on both sides and its still scrubing it soundslike the rotor is rubbing the brake housing? Idk what its called but is the axel hub bearing bad?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
Or is it something else
7/12/2015
Auto Mechanic: Randy, Auto Specialist replied 2 years ago
Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified automotive professional with over 25 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.Yes, that is the most likely cause. It is called the wheel bearing. Remove the steering knuckle and hub and bearing assembly.Remove the wheel lug stud from the hub flange, using a C-clamp and Adapter Tool 4150A.Rotate the hub to align the removed lug stud with the notch in the bearing retainer plate. Use a proper C-clamp and adapter tool to press out one of the lug studsRotate the hub in order to remove the lug studRotate the hub so the stud hole is facing away from the brake caliper lower rail on the steering knuckle.Install 1 / 2 of a Bearing Splitter Tool 1130, between the hub and the bearing retainer plate. The threaded hole in this 1 / 2 is to be aligned with the caliper rail on the steering knuckle.Install the remaining pieces of the bearing splitter on the steering knuckle. Hand-tighten the nuts to hold the splitter in place on the knuckle.When the bearing splitter is installed, be sure the 3 bolts attaching the bearing retainer plate to the knuckle are contacting the bearing splitter. The bearing retainer plate should not support the knuckle or contact the splitter.Place the steering knuckle in a hydraulic press, supported by the bearing splitter. Properly support the steering knuckle for hub and bearing removalPosition a driver on the small end of the hub. Using the press, remove the hub from the wheel bearing. The outer bearing race will come out of the wheel bearing when the hub is pressed out of the bearing.Remove the bearing splitter tool from the knuckle.Remove the 3 bolts mounting the bearing retainer plate to the steering knuckle.Place the knuckle in a press supported by the press block. The blocks must not obstruct the bore in the steering knuckle so the wheel bearing can be pressed out of the knuckle. Place a driver on the outer race of the wheel bearing, then press the bearing out of the knuckle.Install the bearing splitter on the hub. The splitter is to be installed on the hub so it is between the flange of the hub and the bearing race on the hub. Place the hub, bearing race, and splitter in a press. Use a driver to press the hub out of the bearing race. To install:Use clean, dry cloth to wipe and grease or dirt from the bore of the steering knuckle.Install a new wheel bearing into the bore of the steering knuckle. Be sure the bearing is placed squarely into the bore.Place the knuckle in a press with a Receiver Tool, C-4698-2 supporting the steering knuckle.Place a driver tool on the outer race of the wheel bearing.Press the wheel bearing into the steering knuckle until it is fully bottomed in the bore of the steering knuckle. NOTEOnly the original or original equipment replacement bolts should be used for mounting the bearing retainer to the knuckle. If a bolt requires replacement when installing the bearing retainer plate, be sure to get the proper type of replacement.Install the bearing retainer plate on the steering knuckle.Install the 3 bearing retainer mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 21 ft. lbs. (28 Nm).Install the wheel lug stud into the hub flange.Place the hub with the lug stud installed, in a press supported by an Adapter Tool C-4698-1 and press the wheel lug stud into the hub flange until it is fully seated against the back side on the hub flange.Place the steering knuckle with the wheel bearing installed, in a press with special Receiver Tool MB-990799 supporting the inner race of the wheel bearing.Place the hub in the wheel bearing, making sure it is square with the bearing.Press the hub into the wheel bearing until it is fully bottomed in the wheel bearing.Install the steering knuckle and the wheel.Check and/or adjust the front alignment.
Randy
Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist