Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Is there any resolution roof opening on its own. What's

Customer Question
is there any resolution for...
is there any resolution for moon roof opening on its own.
What's up with the driver's door not locking unlocking with remote?
When using the remote, car appears to alarm but the driver's door is actually not locked.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Car
7/1/2015
Auto Mechanic: nabilc,
 replied 3 years ago
nabilc
Hello and Welcome!
I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry.
Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Was the body control module (above the pedal, left to the steering column) checked? or at least its wiring?
As this module controls the power locks, and the sunroof, and having loose or dirty connectors, even being faulty itself, would cause this.

Do you have an aftermarket alarm system or radio installed?

no aftermarket alarm system/radio install

Auto Mechanic: nabilc,
 replied 3 years ago
Hello Paula,

In this case, the body control module (technically referred to as J393 on your model) is the culprit. This needs checking as following:
- checking the connectors for loose or dirty contacts
- checking the wiring for a shorts breaks
- and if the problem persists, checking for water ingress within the module, and replacing the module if necessary.

Having checked the parts, wiring and module, the culprit should be replaced, and the problem should be resolved. As there are no further parts on this system.

Again, this module does control both the central locking and the sunroof (amongst other things).

Kindly get back to me with your findings, or if further assistance is needed.

Regards,
Billy

at time applying pressure to the housing headliner lights/sunroom actuator causes the sunroof window to lift/lower even when there is no key in the ignition

also, it is considered "normal" that one can turn on the radio/cd without key in ignition?

are these behaviors related to the body control module?

What is an estimated fair price range for a mechanic to complete complete this repair?

Auto Mechanic: nabilc,
 replied 3 years ago
Hello Paula,

Both behaviors are not normal. They are, however, related to the same control module.
There can be no exact estimates, as they still need to diagnose, follow the wiring, and confirm the fault before getting to the culprit. I would start by checking water ingress to the roof switch (or any shorts there, since you are having it activate before putting keys in ignition). A 3 to 5 hours of labor should be good enough to get to the problem (average labor price per hour being 100$). This obviously excludes the price of any parts replaced.

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more assistance...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Regards,
Billy