Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Looking diagram on a 1977 trans am.

Customer Question
Looking for wiring diagram for...
Looking for wiring diagram for distbutor on a 1977 trans am. I bought it and they had it direct wired in the fuse box
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Car
Can you tell me where the wire should go.
6/23/2015
Auto Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Hello I can help you,
I have the factory wiring diagram if that will help.
Yes that would
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/77.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab and let me know how I can help you with it.
Thank you'
Hi George got the diagram. Just not sure where the brown wire from the distbutor goes it's feed in the fuse box now!
Ok, if you check the diagram you see there is no brown to the distributor the brown wire runs to the alternator. Does it look like the wires were replaced changing the color? The power to the distributor is the pink/black wire from the fuse block. Let me know how much is original so I can help Thank you
There is no power going to the distbutor that's why they wired it directly into the fuse box. What can I check to see why there is no power? The wire looks like it go thru the firewall behind the fuse box.
Thanks
How many wires do you have on the distributor you have installed? Is it an external coil distributor? Can you post a picture?
Great, that wire should connect to switched 12 volts so you can cut the power to the coil when you turn the key off, the small brown is the tach wire. It is fuses upstream from the switch so nothing needed between the switch connector and the distributor. Please let me know if that is clear, does the wire show 12 volts with the key on and nothing with the key off? It is wired correctly if it does. Please let me know how I can help Thank you