Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

MY 2012 EQUINOX 4 CYL just reduces power and then stalled.

Customer Question
the engine will not started...
MY 2012 EQUINOX 4 CYL just reduces power and then stalled. the engine will not started it turn over but will not start, the engine is getting gas the only thing in the menu display is the oil is 0% and need to be changed
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/20/2015
Auto Mechanic: FixItMan, Master Technician replied 3 years ago
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thanks for the question. Can you tell me if the engine light was on prior to this occurring?
NO IT WAS NOT, I CLEANED THE THROTTLE BODY YESTERDAY THE CAR WILL START BUT ONCE I PUT IN DRIVE IT HAS NO POWER AND THE ENGINE LIGHT WHEN OFF AND FIRST THEN CAME BACK ON ALSO THE STALK I DONT THINK I GOT THE RIGHT SPELLING, BUT TWO LIGHTS ARE ON THE ENGINE LIGHT AND THE ONE WITH THE CAR WITH SLID LINES
Thank you. It sounds like you either have a failing sensor like the air flow sensor or possibly a failing fuel pump. If the fuel pressure is low then the vehicle will act like this. Did you plan on fixing this yourself?
No, it has good fuel pressure. Yes, I am working on it myself. I have read in many boards that the throttle body could be bad. I have 92,000 miles is it possible that the throttle body is bad that would cause this problem as well?
It can be the throttle body of the motor on the throttle is failing. I would try cleaning it out to see if it Ian irty and binding up. Let me know what you find with that. Simply spray it out with throttle body cleaner.
I replace the throttle body and the car idles at first the engine light went off and the stabilitrak light went off for about 3 to 5 min but soon return and display again with engine power is reduced and the wrench stabilitrack comes on the display and if you try to accelerate you can not go past 3000 rpm and sometime if I turn off the car and restarted it It will go high then go back to 3 to 4 x1000 rpm. So you where saying it maybe a air flow sensor how many are there to check and what would be their correct names of the sensor.
The air flow sensor is located in the air intake tube next to the air filter. I would remove it and spray it clean with mass air flow sensor cleaner.
Hello Bobby
I got a actron cp9125 code reader from a friend from work and when I hook it up a get the codes P0016,P0017,P0089 and P228D the crankshaft sensor pressed on the crankshaft may have moved. So would that be that the sensor maybe bad. I clear all the codes and the engine light and the stabilitrak light went off the car ran right for about 4 min then everything came back engine reduced speed service stabilitrak and both lights came back on the car did what it did before. I also check the mass airflow sensor I unplug got the code on the reader and plug it back in and the code went away so I don't think there a problem with that sensor. What do you think could be the problem?
From those codes you can have one or multiple things going on. I would start with the codes about fuel pressure. The fuel pressure may be low from a weak fuel pump or the regulator may be failing. Both of these are common causes of this. The cam timing issues can be caused by low engine oil, a worn timing chain, or a crank sensor.
do you think these things would be cover by chevy 100,000 mile warrant?
If you have a 100,000 mile warranty then it should be covered.