Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Have any advice on the usual problemswih the 1995 izusu rodeo…

Customer Question
have any advice on the...
have any advice on the usual problemswih the 1995 izusu rodeo air conditioning I may encounter when my sister and i take it in to get it recharged today? I said I'd fix it for her birthday and i don
t want to be tacky or spend more than i can afford.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Car
oops sorry it is a 96 izusu rodeo
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/11/2015
Auto Mechanic: Dj, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.About 90% of the time the AC system is low on refrigerant. The system has a sensor and when it detects that it's low, it shuts off the compressor. That's the easy part, just recharge the system. The hard (expensive) part is what's causing the leak. Most of the time it's just an o-ring at one of the fittings. A good mechanic with a leak checker can find the leak, evacuate the system, replace the o-ring and recharge the system.There's also a possibility that something expensive has failed, like the compressor or the expansion valve. This happens in about 5% of the repairs. So it's not likely, but it's a possibility. The other 5% is all other problems combined.I hope this answers your question. Please let me know if you were thinking of something else or if there is anything more I can do to help you. DJ
the compressor or the expansion valve are the expensive things. Is there any way to know if those things are not defective i.e. the heater blows air or ? My mission is to not be charged more than is needed so I appreciate any nuggets of wisdom you can share to prepare us for the terrible ,the awful and the dreaded GRAND TOTAL!thank you :)
11 June 2015 05:41
If the system doesn't have enough refrigerant, there's not a practical way to test the rest of the components.
You can run a jumper wire to the compressor clutch and get it to engage. If it doesn't make any abnormal noises it's probably good. But that's about the only test you can do.
The way to test the expansion valve is to charge the system and see if it leaks.
The blower motor is a separate circuit from the compressor so there's no solid connection.
Do you have a jumper wire or some way to energize the compressor clutch? Is this something you would like to try?
I could probably get a jumper wire if it's not too expensive or complicated. I would like to try and energize the compressor clutch and get it to engage. What do i need to get to do that and how do i actually energize it ? With my battery?To clarify the blower motor has no connection to the compressor or in other words just because the fan blows air does not indicate the compressor
is in working order. Correct?
The fan blows because it's on a different circuit and it doesn't care if the compressor works or not.
Any hardware store has 16 gauge wire. You can buy it by the roll or by the foot. The wire goes from the positive post of the battery to the compressor clutch. The way to hook it up is to attach it to the wire on the compressor clutch, then start the engine. Once the engine is running, touch the wire to the positive cable on the battery. It will spark, not a big deal. This should engage the clutch on the compressor. You'll hear a big click, then a whirring like sound. That's normal.
If you hear banging, grinding, or a loud squealing, then go to Home Depot and get one of those large orange buckets. Then go to the bank and fill the bucket with twenty dollar bills. Drop the truck and the orange bucket off at the repair shop and they'll take care of both.
http://www.carsteering.com/data/all_images/AC-14-2690NC-700-MAP.JPG
If you go to this link, you'll see the compressor, which is silver. And the clutch, which is black. The wire that you want to jumper to is the black wire. Disconnect the wire, then hook your jumper wire to the wire that goes to the compressor. Leave the wire that goes to the truck disconnected.
Cross your fingers.
DJ
It will probably take a couple days but i am determined to test that compressor!.Thank you so much for the detailed instructions I"ll let you know how it turns out ...Hmmm ..Home Depot huh.. i wish i would have heard about the orange bucket option before i paid the last shop- with an arm and leg:)
Don't get discouraged. It's probably just low on refrigerant.
And you can always go to a pet shop, buy a bird and put it on the top of your head. That way people will think your crazy and you won't be responsible for your actions. I do it all the time, it works great.
DJ