gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Problem with rear brakes on a mazda 3 - i replaced rotors

Customer Question

hi problem with rear brakes on a mazda 3 - i replaced rotors and pads put the wheel back on and it was able to turn with expected resistance, i don;t know why but when i go in car i tried the emergency brake. i think it may be stuck - the wheel wont turn and the tire seems stuck on.. i tried to sledge it off gently but its all froze up
Category: Car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 years ago.
The cable should pull a lever on the rear caliper- likely what has happened is that your cable sleeves are corroded and rusty, and the cable is stuck inside. If you go to the back wheel and pry between the body and the lever you may be able to release it. If not, the cables are doing you no good anyway, just cut them off and make sure the caliper releases now. You can either replace the cables or run without them. In "rust belt" or salt states, never use your parking brake unless you regularly lube the cables and sleeves (which nobody does) and use them often enough to keep them clear.