Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Transmission slips and will not engage in overdrive. will fluid

Customer Question

transmission slips and will not engage in overdrive. will fluid change with additive help?
Submitted: 2 years ago via TrueDelta.com.
Category: Car
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 2 years ago.
hi
does the engine light stay on?if so,can you give me the computer codes?
when you say it slips,,please explain..
tell me all you can
thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
car belongs to my father in law, engine light not on and we don't have code reader. doesn't shift into higher gear, engine rpm goes up but stays in 3rd gear
ok
i would think the od band or the od clutch frictions are burnt out,,i do not think a filter changed will help it now,but,it is the only thing you can try short of rebuilding the transmission.
never add an additive to the transmission,additives will swell up the seals and sealing rings and will do more harm than good..
i would think you will need to replace or rebuild the transmission..sorry
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
another tech mentioned replacing a shifting solenoid, any thoughts?
i dont think it is a solenoid,sense the engine does rev,i think the shift solenoids are shifting it,but nothing is there,,
the first thing to do here is to scan the cars computer to get the codes,if you get a solenoid code,then,yes,that could be the problem..
but,expect the worse here,to me it sounds as if it is burnt out..
if you dont have a scanner,auto zone and most parts stores will scan it and give you the codes for free
thanks